Contextual Backlinks?

Is it possible to implement in TiddlyWiki linked references (backlinks) in such a way that shows the context of the link (a line or two of the tiddler linking)?

The Stroll edition by @DaveGifford can do this.
I would be interested if there are any more portable solutions, e.g. a plugin, or maybe it is easy to get this single functionality out of Stroll and implement in any TW.

If you mean sliced out segments that include the mention of the backlink from arbitrary sentences e.g like "...and then you put the FooBar in the..." then I would think this is a bit tricky to achieve. But there are several solutions where you e.g hover the link to see a popup preview of the tiddlers content. Another doable variant might be to slice out e.g the first row from the text, but then you would not necessarily see the actual backlink in its immediate context.

Using a filter and the backlinks operator, you can list the tiddler(s) that mention this one. With such a list of titles you can retrieve whatever you wish for each title.

Interestingly even missing tiddlers can have backlinks and looking at where the missing tiddler is named can give us more information such they source tags, type and other fields. Or in line with this topic we can see the context.

In tw 5.3.0 we can redefine the link widget so we are in a position to present buttons on any link including missing links that are context aware.

Hi there! I happened to write a little plugin to do this for myself last year - I’ve bundled it up here in case others find it helpful.

3 Likes