"Content, Content and content"

To paraphrase the real estate chant of “Location, Location, Location” many in the internet space recognise that the true value of a website, at a location (domain) is the content you find there. Perhaps this can be extended to the value in a good app. If its content is good, valuable, easy to access and organise then it too wins over all else due to “Content, Content and content”.

It is my biased view TiddlyWiki is the king of “Content, Content and content” and its various forms such as data, information, knowledge and concepts to name a few.

Discuss :nerd_face:

IF you seeking such content and the “site” matches searchers needs, it will always win.

TT

My first reaction was: 100% ok with @TW_Tones.

But what is content ?
Content is data + presentation, and, in case of an app, I’d also add tools to the equation.
So content = data + presentation + tools.
Then we can consider the temporal axis: for how long is content available ? For as long as the underlying technology itself is available. For a website it will not last longer than the rent for the hosting (and the domain name). For a single-file wiki, it will be available as long as the media can be read: the media must be durable, and its interface must be available on the computer (anyone remembers Iomega ZipDrives ?).

Now speaking of tiddlywiki, we have:

• stable technologies (to the extent of how stable computers technologies can be, they are not even a century old!). In order to extract data embedded in a tiddlywiki file, the simplest tool needed is a text editor, which is ancient technology in CS timescale.
  • autonomous technology: using tiddlywiki only depends on the availability of a web browser (at least for a single-file wiki)
  • very versatile presentation plugins (tiddlymap, echarts, memory keeper, to name just a few)
  • very versatile data access tooling, be it embedded in raw tiddlywiki (search, advanced search) or through plugins
  • icing on the cake, tiddlywiki is built for extensibility and hackability, leading to endless capabilities.

So after thorough reflexion: yes, tiddlywiki is the best app for content! :wink:

Fred

2 Likes

On reflection I feel content is best considered the data separate from the tools and presentation in your formulae;

However since tiddlywiki’s unique structuring allows information to be extracted from the data - and once visible, “information” is perhaps also content this get a little more complex.

However I think anyone designing a wiki can be carful not to unnecessarily mix data / code / presentation + tools so the data is always available to be exported and used elsewhere.

Because arguably new information can be created in tiddlywiki, then providing the user with a method to export both data and new information for use elsewhere is helpful. That is have your content and export it too.

Keep in mind tiddlywiki rests on standard internet protocols and standards to run html/javascript/json/css so even if superseded I expect the technologies and tiddlywiki will remain for a very long time, and given the tiddler is the basic unit, stored in plain text JSON records in a text/html file, the content will remain accessible as long as the JSON standard remains, and beyond, because it is easy to reverse engineer JSON anyway.

1 Like