Config tiddler title for default light & dark palette (e.g. $:/config/palette/default-dark)

I wonder if we could ever use;

In functions / filters defined there in?

• I wonder if its feasable?

See: https://tiddlywiki.com/#substitute%20Operator:[[substitute%20Operator]]%20[[substitute%20Operator%20(Examples)]]

Yes, I think they are good. Starting by $:/config/palette is better than $:/palette/

I’m surveying for this tiddler name in this thread, updated the title to reflect that.

@pmario

I didn’t catch up with the latest tw developments
I’m not using functions and procedures at the moment because I don’t know how to handle them

The main info about procedures is this:

• Procedures can be used as a “drop-in replacement” for macros – following the main rules below
  • Procedures will replace Macros in the TW core (over time)
    • Macros will not go away soon – But whenever you need text substitution you should use procedures

Procedures

• Local variables are used using the standard variable notation <<myVariable>>
    • Local variables do not need the double underlines anymore __
  • Text substitutions like $someText$ are not evaluated
    • They caused caching / performance problems
    • core macros using that syntax will be rewritten over time
\procedure test(myVariable) The value of myVariable is: <<myVariable>>

or

\procedure test(myVariable)
The value of myVariable is: <<myVariable>>
\end

New Text Substitution

more to come
-m

2 Likes

I’m preparing a PR at the moment.

2 Likes

I do have a working prototype that is part of the ControlPanel → Appearence → Palette settings tab

• It allows users to enable / disable the “detection” setting
  • What should be the default ?

I had to change quite a bit of palette switcher UI code, to be able to reuse the dropdown.

At the moment a browser reload is needed, since TW misses an “actionable” notification that the browser changed the setting.

The $:/info/darkmode is updated, but no action can be triggered yes.

Why not wrap an action widget in the reveal or list widget, so they are triggered when a filter changed?

Could you add a picker for them? Shiraz have an example

Because they are not triggered. Action widgets can only be triggered with user interaction or js event-handlers

I think that makes no sense.

The tiddler $:/plugins/kookma/shiraz/ui/Buttons/SwitchPalette is a UI tiddler that contains some default values in fields.

The dropdown from your screenshot seems to modify this UI code tiddler, which moves the code-tiddler from shadow into the user-space. This will prevent future plugin code updates. We want to avoid that behaviour in the core.

If the $:/config/palette/default-light and $:/config/palette/default-dark tiddlers are merged the shiraz-plugin can use those new config tiddlers and work with them.

I’m asking him to use the new config tiddler after your PR Config tiddler for light & dark palette · Issue #39 · kookma/TW-Shiraz · GitHub , so instead of creating a new button, there will be a stable button using configs.

Then I will need to add a new widget to the core to do this. This feels like useEffect hook, or reactive programming. Maybe <$effect> or <$react>

Or use new syntax in Conditional Shortcut Syntax by Jermolene · Pull Request #7710 · Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5 · GitHub to do <% effect [tag[xxx]] %> some action widget <% endeffect %>

@linonetwo the problem with invoking action widgets on render/refresh is that its possible to set up an infinite refresh loop. Furthermore, the tiddler store should not be modified during the refresh cycle and this could potentially be enforced in the future.

Even in react, useEffect could cause infinite loop, but will stop at 1000 times and throw an error.

And maybe there can be an queue for delayed update when using effect. Anyway, this can be talked about later in github discussion.

There is a WIP Preview: Open ControlPanel → Appearence → Palette

270890934-256903fa-bb4b-48ec-bb5b-111519214b50

GitHub PR: implement browser light / dark theme switching detection by pmario · Pull Request #7756 · Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5 · GitHub

GitHub idea-issue + discussion: [IDEA] Automatically Switch Between Dark / Light Palette Depending on Browser Setting · Issue #7754 · Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5 · GitHub

Feedback is very welcome here or at GH PR
-mario

Various feedback items:

• Excessive capitalization for checkbox label:
    "Enable Browser Light/Dark Mode Detection on Startup"
    should be:
    "Enable browser light/dark mode detection on startup"

• Palette chooser buttons are kinda small. Similarly, drop down lists for selecting a palette is also kinda small. Perhaps use “font-size:2em;” for both?

• Drop down lists for selecting a palette should be filtered to show only light or dark palettes (based on color-scheme field of each palette definition tiddler)

Thanks for the feedback.

I did think about that. But I personally do want to switch between any 2 palettes, even if they are both in the “light” scheme.

But you are right. I think I should add a filter parameter to the picker macro

In my TiddlyTools/Palettes/Chooser, I list all palettes, but separate them into different groups based on the value of the color-scheme field: “light”, “dark”, and “other” (when color-scheme=undefined or a value other than “light” or “dark”).

-e

Yea … I changed it and also made the dropdown a bit bigger. But I do like the swatches, even if they make the list much longer. (Those changes are not published yet)

I recently code at night with light off, and find VSCode’s auto palette switch will also cause “dirty” in config. Because when it is the next day I come to office, I find VSCode is black, this means it sync the black setting from the PC on my home.

So I think the problem described in add browser dark/light theme detection by pmario · Pull Request #7830 · Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5 · GitHub is acceptable, since VSCode also does this.

Although this is acceptable, I think this is annoying. For me, I might choose to gitignore the $:/palette, and let it auto switch to the correct palette on the runtime instead, as a workaround.