Can we run a regex replace at render time?

Some of the unicode examples do not work with my ubuntu 22.04 laptop.

See: No. 4, 8 and 9

@pmario the 4th relates to the fonts available to the browser, I think Noto fonts would fix it. But the 8th and 9th is as it should be 1/n

• What do you see wrong?

I might eventually get there, but I want to be cognizant of something @Mark_S (IIRC) pointed out in another thread, that we don’t want to turn entering ingredients into a major chore. Because in going through my recipes, I’ve realized that ingredients lists are not as simple as 2 eggs or 1/4 cup cream. They often embed a bit of instructions, and have other details included:

2 (packed) cups grated sharp cheddar
8 ounces feta, crumbled fine
1 (8-ounce) block of feta, crumbled fine
2 fist-sized potatoes, sliced into 1/4" sections
2 medium red or white onions, sliced thin
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup coarsely chopped yellow onion 
...etc.

Trying to delineate fields for such expressions would be challenging. Trying to write a general parser for it would be well-nigh impossible. But they’re easy to enter as plain text.

Slight topic switch…

For whatever reason, that exchange put me in mind of @pmario’s custom parser stuff. I used to enjoy reading the exchanges between him, @TW_Tones and @twMat.

@pmario what happened to that stuff? I’m sure @Scott_Sauyet would enjoy reading it…

To keep it simple pasting a list of ingredients and even whole recipies into the text field is the most flexible.

Search can help.

However we then have the opportunity to add value through meta data and curation.

Lets say I like having people over for dinner then I may select a number of dishes I have found popular and easy to multiply to feed more people.

• with those recipies I would be happy transfer the key ingredients into seperate entries with qty and units

then I can select and create a list to check my cupboards or a shopping list.

• or list what i have and identify what i can cook.

To me we need to keep in mind how we can help make it easy to tap into more sophisticated uses.

Let people be casual, store simple fuzzy data but give them the tools to match what their motivations drives them to do.