Can we put the version of TW at the top of the "Hello there" tiddler?

The “Hello there” tiddler is the first tiddler people see when they go to tiddlywiki.com.

It would make it easier to see what the latest released version is so I don’t have to search for it. This value is held in a variable so when ever the variable is updated, anywhere it’s displayed is also updated.

This should be very easy to change and would make the process of looking for the newest version number convenient.

Thanks!

I use TW all the time to take notes at work on new computer tools I’m using. I actually store the HTML file on a network drive which is accessible to all the remote desktops I use. I can’t use tiddlyhost because it is blocked at work.

I also don’t know how to make a change on Github to do it myself.

2 Likes

It takes one click to get the current version, simply click on the button for the control pannel:

You are right. I do support that request. Seeing the actual version should be a “zero click” information. And should link to the $:/ControlPanel → Info tab.

I usually open the right sidebar → Tools tab, because it does not scroll.

Edit: GH-issue: [IDEA] The TW version number should be part of HelloThere · Issue #8168 · Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5 · GitHub

1 Like

Do you think this would be good enough?

That’s fine. :slight_smile: It looks great, fantastic, how are you today?

Here’s a PR: Add the version number to HelloThere. by pmario · Pull Request #8169 · Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5 · GitHub – The preview should be finished soon.

1 Like

There is already a panel in the HelloThere tiddler that lists the current version, but perhaps it is too prominent to see properly:

It stands out if the card is shown without any context. The problem is that it is hidden. On a full-hd monitor with 100% zoom level for me HelloThere looks like this.

The card is at the bottom of the screen somewhere in the middle. So users do not really see them.

That’s how users skim a webpage. The red areas is where they see stuff.

How the human eye reads a website | Creative Bloq

So the card is at a position, where users do not really read stuff. That’s probably the problem. The PR could change that.

1 Like

Of course in this case we are talking about the Public website, the documentation, and to me this is perhaps more stable than any random wiki I come across.

Perhaps add something below the subtitle, with css so it does not consume much if any extra space, and a theme tweak to turn it off?

Snag_e7cda00

The Question is does it make sense in empty.html?

• So new wikis have this unless removed.

How about adding this:

@@font-size:small; v<<version>>@@

to the end of $:/SiteTitle.

-e

2 Likes

Yes, I was using ^^v<<version>>^^ but it was not that obvious.

But perhaps it makes sense as a separate element? eg $:/SiteSubtitle/suffix containing the version message, ie become part of the sidebar in $:/core/ui/PageTemplate/sidebar with $:/tags/SideBarSegment or in $:/core/ui/SideBarSegments/site-subtitle

Always visible would be an additional advantage. I do like this. Imo it also would be a good example for users, how they can style there one wiki title.

I was curious, why I did completely miss that card. I was looking at the OP request on my laptop, where I do use a zoom level from 170% (sceenshot) up to 200% (now for writing this post).

The whole page looks like this (170%).

On mobile it would look similar to this one.

I like it. I would prefer if it were the same color as the subtitle, though. Still available at a glance, but lower emphasis.

In many ways I wish on mobile this tiddlywiki.com view would default to a closed sidebar

I see. My problem is I use a skinny browser window so I have to scroll down to see the version about one whole browser page. I do not even see the sidebar on tiddlywiki.com. I have limited screen space and need to use fonts that are a bit bigger than normal.