Bug report: fields with no name cannot be deleted

Hello, developers. I have noticed that due to the auto-field creation property (which I think is new to the latest version of TW?), a field can be created automatically before I have a chance to add a field name (Because sometimes I like to enter a field value before I know what to call it).

Pressing the trash can icon for the unnamed field causes the Add a new field: drop-down menu to be shown. I have not found a way to either re-edit the errant field or delete it, without simply deleting the entire tiddler.

Could you explain what steps you took to create this error? I wasn’t able to do it with Tiddlywiki.com. The tiddler prevented me from making a field without a field name.

Also, do you have plugins installed?

I have replicated this on tiddlywiki.com.

What do you mean by “auto-field creation”?

I first create a field using a name of one or more spaces and I cant delete it

• subsequent fields with 1 or more spaces (nothing else) replace it, and its value

Clearly a bug, we need to raise an issue on github

• Such fields should not be created to the delete button may not need be fixed.

This most likely occurred as a prior but was fixed and since spaces etc… became permitted in fieldnames.

Good spotting.

1 Like

Oh, I see. The name isn’t empty – it’s just formed with spaces. That seems like a bug.

If you really need to fix some entries, there is a trick a sort of learned from TW_Tones. Take your tiddler and drag/drop it into another TW file. But – don’t click import! Instead edit the import dialog box. You’ll see the field in the JSON looking like:

"": ""

Delete the entry (and the final comma of the prior entry). Save. Then import. Now your tiddler is fixed. You can drag it back to the original TW file.

2 Likes

Hi, This should be fixed with the TW prerelease. So the next version will be able to handle that. allow us to remove a field with empty key by pmario · Pull Request #6888 · Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5 · GitHub

3 Likes