Bug: hint over add-field button in edit template

I have discovered what I believe is a bug in the hint displayed over the add-field button in tiddler edit template. Steps to reproduce:

1. Edit any tiddler or create a new one.
  2. Add any text in the “field name” field (so that adding the field becomes possible).
  3. Hover mouse over the “add” button.

A hint saying {{$:/language/EditTemplate/Fields/Add/Button/Hint}} is displayed:

I tested it on tiddlywiki.com and on an empty TW. It is the same in current v5.3.1 and in the v5.3.2 prerelease. I have looked through the archival releases: the first one with this bug is v5.1.22, it doesn’t happen (no hint is displayed at all) in v5.1.21.

I’m not familiar with the workings of the language mechanism, so I can’t propose any way to fix this.

Meta question on the side: is this the right place to initially report such things? Or is it better to make a GitHub issue straight away?

As a developer I personally would prefer a GH issue.
So if you have or if you are willing to create a GitHub account, it should be reported there.

But if you do not have a GH account it’s OK to report it here.

We will create a GH Issue – So it will not be forgotten.

See: [BUG] The field editor ADD button shows wrong "hint" text · Issue #7841 · Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5 · GitHub

I did test it at tiddlywiki.com and I cannot see any tooltip at all.

Edit: I needed to add a field name, to see the bug. → It is a bug

PR is under way: fix the add field button tooltip by pmario · Pull Request #7842 · Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5 · GitHub

1 Like

Bug reports are very valuable to the core team. Minor issues like this are all too easy to ignore, and so we really appreciate the trouble that people take to report them. You’ve already performed the most critical task by identifying a way to replicate it tiddlywiki.com.

As @pmario says, a GitHub ticket is necessary in the end, and so is always appreciated. But we want to make it as easy as possible for anyone to report a bug, so we’re happy to receive reports in any form.

1 Like