Banner Image Competition for v5.3.0

We’re hoping to release TiddlyWiki v5.3.0 on June 30th. I’ve left it rather late but as usual we’re holding a competition to design the banner image that is shown on the splash screen and within the opening HelloThere tiddler.

Ideally, the artwork should reflect some of the changes in the new version. I’ve updated the release note for the prerelease:

https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/

Entries will be accepted until Friday 30th June 2023 at 8am UK time. Because of the limited time available, rather than using a vote to determine the winning design I’ll make the selection by fiat.

The other rules/guidelines for the competition are:

• The version number must be clear and readable even when the banner is shown at a reduced size
  • The version number must use the correct punctuation including the “v” prefix and clear full stops between the numbers
  • The image must be a PNG or JPEG of exactly 560x315 pixels
  • Note that the image is displayed at a smaller size on tiddlywiki.com , so check that your artwork is legible at the display size (the scaling is done in order to yield good quality on hi-dpi displays)
  • The image need not include the word “TiddlyWiki”. The banner image is only used in contexts where it is clear that it is about TiddlyWiki
  • Feel free to enter an updated version of artwork that was a runner-up in a previous competition
  • Reply to this message with your entry, or any questions
  • Please give lots of feedback here to encourage the artists

Good luck! I’ll be looking forward to seeing the entries.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

1 Like

My first participation !! corrected

banner-v5.3.0

11 Likes

Thomas, thanks! One thing I’m aware you’ll want to tweak — to make it a legal entry — is making sure there’s a v immediately prior to 5.3.0 (see notes above).

As in the past, I’ve set up a site to compare entries, in case this thread gets crowded, and you want to compare side-by-side, and/or take a stroll down memory lane:

https://tw-logo-contest.tiddlyhost.com/

1 Like

Ha - an artist I am not - “Power update under the hood” theme - makes me laugh though.
TiddlyWiki530

3 Likes

This is very pretty, but: one thing seems to be missing:

I edited my first post to correct the banner. Thank you.

1 Like

My proposal…

Tiddly_v5.3.0

4 Likes

Here’s what I call the widget-tail. It was originally attached to motovun, but that was too creepy. :grimacing: Now it can also suggest that making new widgets is as easy as unrolling a carpet. :wink:

organic-widget-tail-compressed

[Replaced image with identical one, compressed down to 24K]

4 Likes

It’s hard to stop with the variants! I’ll offer just this one. Of course, colors and other things can always be tweaked in accord with whatever’s helpful.

Here’s an organic widget assemblyline with hint of parameterised transclusion.

widget-rollout-compact

[Edited to swap in identical image with better compression, down to 17K img size]

6 Likes

Here’s my take on illustrating the parametrized transclusion: Motovun with texture and location parameters:

banner-530

(Royalty free photo by Jiawei Zhao from Unsplash)

11 Likes

Thank you to everyone for the very attractive and imaginative entries.

I’m planning to extend the competition a few hours to 2pm UK time tomorrow, Friday 30th June.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Thank you again everyone for your hard work on this. The entries are imaginative and professionally executed, and it’s incredibly hard to choose a winner.

By a whisker, I’ve chosen @vilc’s entry. I really like the hieroglyphic wiki text, and the way that the version number is part of the environment.

banner-530

Congratulations to @vilc and my thanks to all the entrants.

Best wishes

Jeremy

4 Likes

I love this cat-in-box with transclusion. But there’s lots of visual noise, so it’s hard to grok at smaller sizes.

Here’s a friendly tweak that removes the background, dials up the contrast a bit, and compresses down to 15K. All credit still to you, @vilc ! :grin:

vilc-cat-in-box-simpler

-Springer

2 Likes

Oops, @jeremyruston – I was making my suggested tweaks WHILE you were posting!

1 Like

I’m OK with @vilc’s original artwork, but I realise I was remiss in not thanking you for making the comparison site, as ever it is very helpful.

2 Likes