Attempting to add a bottom nav bar

I have included css for a bottom navigation bar in my custom css tiddler, and, I have a tiddler called Footer with the html part of it. When the Footer tiddler is on screen, the bottom navigation bar works like a charm. But if I close the tiddler, the navigation bar disappears.

I used $:/tags/footer and I also tried $:/tags/BottomNavBar. Both work. But the bottom bar still disappears when I close the Footer tiddler. Is there a custom tag I should be using?

I also have a top naviagation bar, and that is brilliant. No issues there. What am I doing wrong with the bottom bar? Does anyone know?

Is your css in a tiddler with the stylesheet tag?

I have the following in my Custom CSS sheet, which has the tag $:/tags/Stylesheet

.footer {
height: 60px;
position: fixed;
left: 0;
bottom: 0;
padding-top: 5px;
padding-bottom: 5px;
width: 100%;
background-color: #1e73be;
color: white;
text-align: center;
}

And I have the following in a Tiddler named Footer, which has a tag $:/tags/Footer

<div class="footer">
  <p>All rights reserved - My Test Website | Built with Tiddlywiki</p>
</div>

My issue is that while the tiddler named Footer is open, everything works great. But as soon as I close the Footer tiddler, the bottom bar disappears.

I’ve tried different tags in Footer, and they all work until I close the tiddler. Does anyone know what I’m doing wrong?

Are you using an alternative layout that makes use of the $:/tags/Footer tag? If not, neither it nor $:/tags/BottomNavBar is part of the standard Tiddlywiki layout, so they don’t assign any special behavior to tiddlers with that tag. When your Footer tiddler is open in the story, it creates a corresponding <div>, positioned as per your CSS, but it’s not part of the permanent layout, so it disappears when “Footer” is no longer in the story river.

I just double checked the list of default system tags that do assign special behavior (including layout elements), and I think $:/tags/BelowStory ought to do what you’re looking for. If you want it to appear behind the story river tiddlers rather than in front of them, you can set the z-index in your .footer class to control the relative position on the z-axis.

This defines the footer class, but does nothing unless something is displayed using the footer class.

This says when open display the div using the footer class.

• However unlike most items in a tiddler it uses positioning on the page. You will not see it where you “display it”.

All you need to do is to have it always display - any where and the positioning will be at the bottom. As @etardiff says the $:/tags/BelowStory but so will $:/tags/AboveStory, and if the menu is installed $:/tags/TopLeftBar and $:/tags/TopRightBar The Below story makes sense if you were looking for it, but it is not actually where its displayed.

I would be tempted to put it in a system tiddler $:/theScribe/page-footer, tagged $:/tags/BelowStory but not $:/tags/Stylesheet

<style>
.footer {
z-index: 100;
}
</style>
<div class="footer">
  <p>All rights reserved - My Test Website | Built with Tiddlywiki</p>
</div>
  • This makes it a single tiddler solution
  • You can adjust styles and content in the one tiddler, and only removing $:/tags/BelowStory hides it.

However if you do this on tiddlywiki.com you will see in the sidebar results tab, you can’t see the last item(s). Fix this with a tiddler tagged $:/tags/SideBarSegment, with an empty list-after field, and the following example contents;

<style>
.sidebar-footer {
height: 70px;
}
</style>
<div class="sidebar-footer">
Bottom of sidebar

</div>

But this could be changed to provide a jump to top of sidebar with a little work.

• may need some adjustments, perhaps the sizes can be in em’s to adjust with zoom?

Did you try withe the tag $:/tags/BelowStory ?

I did, but the bar didn’t appear at the bottom of the page if I removed the tiddlers. So I tried @TW_Tones suggestion and that appears to work, but only if I have “position: fixed”. Ideally, I would prefer the bar to be at the bottom of the webpage, and if a long tiddler is on the screen, then the footer is still below it. But I definitely am several steps closer. Thank you.

Just remove the position css

• In a tiddler tagged $:/tags/BelowStory because that exact what it’s for.
<style>
.footer {