Are there any tech Forums as good as talk.tiddlywiki?

As a TiddlyWiki enthusiast and IT Professional are there any tech Forums as good as talk.tiddlywiki?

Off topic because I would like to find other tech forums that are as good as this one. As a professional In IT I get a bit sick of supporting myself, it would be nice to contribute to and be supported within another tech forum or community as good as that which we have in tiddlywiki?

• Selfishly I would hope it not contain mostly newbies, but other knowledgeable people to tackle the more difficult questions.

Am I dreaming?

They have a different feel to them, and they aren’t quite like this community for many reasons, but hackernews (though perhaps too generalized, you will often find experts in the comments) and many subreddits focused on particular aspects or pieces of technology have been excellent, imho. There are other reddit clones worth considering, especially during this diaspora. Github et al. and reaching out directly to some developers is sometimes the only option. Further, IRC, Matrix, and Discord are home to many technically literate people, although I don’t think these tend to have the same feel or function as a forum. Of course, Tiddlywiki’s community’s sustained warmth is quite rare (no doubt, you are an exemplar, sir.)

In terms of support, I’ve found ChatGPT to be a wonderful interlocutor. That probably bends the definition of community too far for most.

3 Likes

Thanks @h0p3 and welcome back. My sympathies for the challenges you had to face.

I do use chatgpt, bing and baird for tech support particularly on initial research and when search terms are common or ambiguous.

The problem for me is, although sometimes my questions are trivial, most of the time I solve my own problems. So when I seek external support it is because it is already difficult to solve, perhaps caused by more than one factor or information I need, that Someone else has but has not shared, or limitations in software.

I will give you an example,

I installed Windows 11 on my Intel NUC mini computer and followed the defaults. Now I want to install the update 22H2 and it wont because a system partition is too small. Despite Microsoft contributing to this problem, I can not find a way to resize this partition, extracting space from the next partition without having to pay for partition editor software to just do this, and only this. Even Bing links to products that claim they are free but when you install and learn how to do it you discover this is crippled unless you get the payed version.

Thank you. I’m glad to be back.

I feel your problem. I’m often stuck banging my head against something even after searching the web. Even after I’ve tried to solve it myself, I often don’t have the material that others might expect me to have for them to comfortably provide assistance (if there is any to be found) - some communities aren’t terribly nice either in my experience. I’ll say that ChatGPT sometimes assists me in exploring, narrowing down, and formulating the fitting questions I didn’t know how to ask. After that though, sometimes the only option is to hunt for and ask several communities that might be able to assist, though that can be quite time consuming (and emotionally expensive in some cases).

Your particular example is one that ChatGPT provides nearly the same advice I’d suggest. If a back-up would be valuable, I’d move the data myself or clonezilla an image to an external drive. GParted from a live USB linux environment (GParted actually has its own iso) should do the resizing well enough (I’ve had to do roughly the same before).

1 Like

I often find useful information via YouTube and Reddit when it comes to working with software, along with the previously mentions websites, along with stack exchange

Gparted on linux is easy to use and cans freely resize your windows partitions. Using a linux version on a usb key is the solution you may explore.

1 Like

I completely feel ya. I’ve leveled up to the point were there isn’t a lot of peer driven learning. Almost everything caters to the newbie or junior levels.

I have had a bit of luck with the following communities:

3 Likes