Advice on how to host/backup/store my Wiki

I’ve been using TiddlyWiki for about 4 months or so now. I originally started using the html version of TiddlyWiki, but I moved to the Node.js version after I couldn’t download TiddlyDesktop on my work computer. I originally had one TiddlyWiki, but I then decided to split it up into 2 different wikis (i.e. a personal one and a work one). I currently save my wikis to two different private repos on GitHub, but I am having second thoughts about it. Here are some concerns and issues I have with my current set-up:

• I am following a semi-Zettelkasten/Evergreen note-taking philosophy. So, having two wikis isn’t the best, because I can’t freely connect ideas. (I decided that I won’t store any work-sensitive information in any wiki moving forward. I’ll just use regular note-taking/documenting software (e.g. Microsoft Word) for sensitive work-related things.)

• My wikis don’t sync between devices. To get around this, I push my wiki to GitHub and pull it on whatever computer I am working. One issue I have with this is that even though I am pushing to a private repository, my information is still technically in plaintext.

• I want to add work-adjacent information to my wiki when I am physically at work using a work computer, but I don’t want my work computer to have access to my full wiki. I am not entirely sure how networking and self-hosting works, but my thought process is that if I “store” or host my TiddlyWiki on another computer, then my work computer won’t have access to everything that I store in it. (I am under the assumption that they will see the traffic and what tiddlers/information I am looking at or editing; which I am fine with.)

So, I guess I am trying to figure out a way to host my TiddlyWiki online, but in a private way that other people can’t access. (If that even makes sense.) I want a way to access/edit my TiddlyWiki on many devices (e.g. my phone, personal computer, work computer) without it being accessible to others on the internet.

I know I am asking a lot, but I don’t really know where to start and I don’t want to mess up and accidentally put my wikis on the internet. I heard of TiddlyPWA today, I am not sure if this is useful to me.

All in all, I am asking for advice on how other people get around issues of syncing, encryption, and storage/back-up of their wikis.

Thanks!

1 Like

I just saw a discussion very similar to my question and I think I will use Tiddlyhost moving forward. The funny thing is that I originally started with Tiddlyhost, but I had security concerns because I would put sensitive work-related information into it. Now that I have decided against putting sensitive work-related information in this wiki. I think that Tiddlyhost might be the simplest solution for me. However, I still welcome any alternative ideas!

2 Likes