Adding fieldvalueselector to a custom styled TiddlerInfo Fields section

@twMat
This is a custom styled TiddlerInfo Field section I created for use in my wiki. I tried to add the fieldvalueselector into it. The dropdown appears, but the fieldvalue is not geting added into the fields. What can be the reason ?

@arunnbabu81 - in order for me to investigate things, please make it as simple as possible by using the standard TW UI in the wiki. I don’t understand how to locate things in your demo.

https://fieldvalueselector-wiki.tiddlyhost.com/#%24%3A%2Farsheth%2Fui%2FViewTemplate%2Ffield-add

I have made a new site for you to check.

OK, after som investigation:

…but first: You have cut out the original code from my plugin and pasted it into a new context of your making, so the warranty is out the window and you cannot get your $999.95 back :wink: Put in another way: You’re not really asking about my creation, but about yours.

With that said, I think the problem comes from the linkcatcherwidget.

When I use the follwing filter in AdvancedSearch [all[tiddlers]!sort[modified]limit[10]], I don’t see any “reaction” when selecting from the value dropdown, so the LinkCatcher doesn’t achieve antyhing (whereas typing into the value field does modify some temp tid).

The linkcatcherwidget uses a core macro get-field-value-tiddler-filter defined in $:/core/ui/EditTemplate/fields, but that is an EditTemplate whereas your tiddler is a viewtemplate, which might explain why.

To make it work, I think you’ll have to experiment with how the linkcatcherwidget can set the selected value into the appropriate temp tiddler (or some other place) so that the Add button fetches this value and applies it to the current tiddler.

Another approach might be to try to avoid the eventcatcherwidget and have the fieldvalue dropdown links really be buttons to perform this instead. I.e the buttons would be disguised as links (see ButtonWidget at very bottom, if I recall).

OK, hope this helps.

1 Like

I never told that there is any problem with your plug-in. I wanted to incorporate it into the custom fields section in the TiddlerInfo which is basically the EditTemplate/Fields with very minimal modifications. So I thought the fieldvalueselector will work with it. But there was some problem which I encountered. I thought you might be the best person to comment on this. Thats why I tagged you. :blush:

Thanks for taking a look at it. I will have to read about the linkcatcherwidget and eventcatcherwidget before further experiments.

On a sidenote, do you remember this discussion where you helped me to float a viewtemplate to the right side of the tiddler body. I call it sidetabs now. Its working very fine now. Check this tiddler to see the sidetabs in action. Use Alt+A shortcut to reveal and hide the sidetabs of the currentTiddler. Thanks you so much for helping me at that time.