Add placehoder for new tiddler title

If I add a placeholder here and leave the Title of new tiddlers blank, and then create a new tiddler without writing anything and try to exit (either by pressing esc or clicking the close button), it won’t work. However, if I restore the default value “New Tiddler” to the Title of new tiddlers and create a new tiddler with a blank title, exiting using esc or the close button works normally. Is this situation normal? (I hope my description is not too difficult to understand.)

1 Like

The place holder is displayed when the field in edit is empty.

• If you try to create a tiddler with an empty title it will fail
  • If however you create a tiddler that includes a default title like New Tiddler, it will be highlighted and when you start typing the field is edited / replaced and new will create that tiddler. If you type a name that exists, you will be told.

Hi @oeyoews I cannot replicate the issue from your description. Here’s what I tried:

1. Edit the shadow tiddler $:/core/ui/EditTemplate/title to add the attribute placeholder="title here" to the <$edit-text> widget at line 3
  2. Click the “save tiddler” button to commit the change
  3. Click the “new tiddler” button in the sidebar to create a new tiddler
  4. Click the “cancel edit” button on the tiddler
  5. The new tiddler is discarded as expected

Title of new tiddlers is a config option, I modified this option blank to show the default placeholder, but if the tiddler is created for the first time and exits between doing nothing, close or esc doesn’t seem to work.

Creating a tiddler with an empty title, not saving it, and then canceling the edit will also fail? Just because of the addition of a placeholder?

No the “placeholder” is not responsible for that. …

Edit will work if you set the title. Every tiddler must have a title. If you make the “Title of new tiddler” empty, your users must add a title. If there is a title the “done icon” works.

Cancel does not work, but “delete” does. … I think that’s a bug. … But …

I personally do not understand, why you want to have “Title of new tiddlers” empty. … You can use the “placeholder” text there.

1 Like

Thanks @oeyoews @pmario I think what is going on is related to the fact that the placeholder is shown by the <$edit-text> widget when the edited text is blank, but the text of the placeholder is not actually saved to the associated tiddler field. So, that means that when the placeholder is shown the associated tiddler field is blank, and thus the “save tiddler” button doesn’t work because it thinks that the user is attempting to create a tiddler with a blank title, which is not allowed.

@oeyoews you could set the default tiddler title to “Enter title here”