A TW Planning Department

I got very interested in the discussion about naming Tiddlers … though, in reality, I’m largely a paper based thinker …

I think naming in TW is no more difficult than normal. But requires @pmario style iterations. The issue with naming in TW is its cross-scope tools of immense complexity. Meaning one Tiddler might be several functional units.

Basically, you can have many viable naming systems in it.

I do spend some time on paper getting a fitting pattern of names for a specific wiki’s purpose.

A comment
TT

How did you end up with Albert Steptoe’s desk?

:laughing:

I’ve been trying to standardize my NamesRules for about a decade now with the objective of automating the process. Obviously, I’ve made it too complicated, but that is for two (impractical) objectives.

1. I’ve tried to make names as short as possible. TiddlyWiki aleady recognizes ThreeLetterAconyms as links, but once I discovered the capabilities of Codepoints and UCS, a gravitated towards single character names. (That pushes me to pull characters that are not on the keyboard from DataDictionaries). In practice, I’ve found that 2 type-able characters are generally sufficient - think about a base of about 70 with upper + lower + digits + some easy others = 4,900 accessible “exotic” characters.

2. I use a lot of different devices, each of which has its own set of OS + APP + library preferences. Obviously I want my “alphabet” to work consistently in all of them. Diligently applied spare moments have made this possible, but over quite a few years of patience.

I don’t think this cold have been achieved without TW and, in particular, its TransClusion capabilities.

At this time, automatically generated names that consistently follow rules too complex to remember are a major productivity improvement for me.

Cheers,
Hans

1 Like

Few rules I use for my notes and codes

• I stick with alphabet as mush as possible and avoid numbers, specials characters in the tiddler name
  • I prefer short meaningful names (but not less than three characters)
    • the standard search works normally with minlength of 3 characters
    • most tables list tiddlers title, looks better with short names
    • most lists like Open, Recent , … looks better with shorter name
  • I use title case format for name and lowercase for tags. If a tag is title case, it tells me there is a tiddler for that
  • I heavily use namespace using / for data, codes, bundles…
    • exam01/styles, exmp01/macro, exmp01/template, …
2 Likes

I like the naming rules in this great wiki from @clsturgeon : Memory Keeper – Craig Sturgeon

The name of Wiki itself is very meaningful and very beautiful: Memory Keeper :rose:

Ciao @Mohammad, I was surprised this thread got so much interest.

I like your post for it’s detail.

TT

Okay. This is what I do …

RULE ONE: Seriously differentiate Tiddlers starting “$:/” from Tiddlers an end-user will see.

RULE TWO: Under “$:/always use a hierarchal method … so (organise by name hierarchy)

• $:/tt/CO/ – Any tweak of mine that changes the core
  • $:/tt/BU/ – Export bundles
  • $:/tt/CM/ – Custom Markup stuff
  • $:/tt/ED/ – Editor tweaks / enhancements
  • $:/tt/SE/ – Search tools
  • $:/tt/DD/ – Data Dictionary utilities

You get the idea? I use short terms (2 letters, CAPS) for functional scope.

RULE THREE: Over on what an-end user sees I try make sure it is only ever a single name (organised via tags)

• Jabberwocky (tag: poem)
  • Old Town Road (tag: song)

etc.

TBH, TW let’s you use a million methods to organise. It is completely open to what system you use.

The structure of naming for me is only really ever an issue under “$:/”.

Using the root $:/tt/ does help me filter my stuff easily.

Best, TT

An ordinary tiddler …

Sure. Though an ADDRESS for you is never that short :smiley: — Like $:/mo/plugin-37

TT