A new Flexbox Layout for TiddlyWiki

Now there’s a new invention in link handling

• links to tiddlers that are open in one of the open columns scroll those tiddlers into view instead of opening the tiddler again in the current column
  • links to tiddlers that aren’t open in any of the open columns open the tiddler in the current column
  • shift-click on a tiddler link always opens the tiddler in the next column to the right

I’ve also fixed some layout problems and made the basic layout for mobile view (it’s not finished)

Best wishes,
Simon

3 Likes

This looks pretty cool. I haven’t really toyed with multicolumn layouts yet. I love the toolbars, headers, footers etc.

For the side bar size have you toyed with plugins like the SideBar Resizer? - Where you can resize it by dragging it wider/narrower?

Thanks @baiguai

In the past I did many experiments with sidebar resizers and things alike and I came to the decision that I don’t need them, but they are a nice thing to have.
If I find one that works very well I could try making it work with this Layout, maybe as an AddOn

Thank you,
Simon

2 Likes

I’m new to Tiddlywiki and going through Grok Tiddlywiki right now to learn. A saw this forum post and thought it was close to what I wanted in layouts compared to standard TW. What I want is a multi column story river which fill the screen (kind of like how email utilizes columns: folders on the left, emails list in the middle, and content on the right). So if I had my tiddlywiki on my computer I could have multiple tiddlers visible and editable if needed, but on my phone where space is limited it would switch to a one column river (default TW). Having learned of MCL and flexbox from this forum post, I tried both out on my computer, but they remain several columns if you shrink the window (meaning you have to scroll horizontally). Would it be possible to have the columns dynamically adjust to windows/screen size? So it has the columns in a full window, but if you tile the window to 1/2 screen it would only display only how many columns would fit in that space without horizontal scrolling. I have a quick drawing of what I mean in case my explanation was lacking.

1 Like

I think that may depend on how you use it. Have a look at the column count, it may be you have multiple columns open but only a certian number displayed, so it “overflows”, perhaps raise a question, or reply in an existing MCL Focused thread.