A multi-column Layout / Storyview

I must be doing something wrong. A dopo caro.

TT

@BurningTreeC Could something be done for easy selection of tiddlers within a column …something similar to be Page TOC button mentioned above

I just checked and my instructions worked at MultiColumn Layout — a non-linear personal web notebook

Ctrl-P works on Chrome FireFox and Edge.
Please revisit my instructions noting that it is for;

• A single tiddler only
  • After opening a tiddler with “Open in New Window”

Hi @arunnbabu81,

what do you mean by “easy selection of tiddlers”?
What should it do?

Thank you,
Simon

I think @arunnbabu81 is referring to a list of open tiddlers, perhaps in a sidebar tab for each column. Similarly one could have such a list available in a Jump button at the top/bottom of column which on click allows yo to select from tiddler open in each column and jump to them.

But @arunnbabu81 can speak for themself, this is perhaps what I would like myself.

When using multiple columns far more can be displayed at once, divided into the columns for a logical reason for sure. However the potential for cognitive overload increases asa more can be in front of our eyes at one time. Any optional features that can help manage this would always be welcome.

• In many ways this does not need to go beyond providing the same tools one may find for the standard layout but divided into the columns, Open/TOC/recent/history-sidebar.json (1.3 KB) JumpList etc… from a specific column view.

I was referring to Page TOC like button which when clicked will show a dropdown with list of opened tiddler s in that column. If that is not possible, a sidebar tab with list of opened tiddlers in each column might be enough. Saq’s two stories also has a similar functionality in the sidebar.

I don’t want to add such a pagetoc button.
But I’ll have a look at how saq implemented his design

Hi all,

I’ve made some refinements regarding navigation and focusing the active tiddler’s title input field.
I’ve also put some efforts into the story-river which adapts to the sidebar now (through a configuration setting) and updated the Ensemble saver

Therefor, I’ve released v0.58.0 :partying_face:

Now there’s one request from you folks open, correct me if I’m wrong:

• a way to see an overview of all the tiddlers in all columns (?)

If you have other ideas what I could implement, please let me know
I’m pretty happy how the layout has grown and I’m using it on a daily basis

Let me know if you’re using it, too :slightly_smiling_face: !

Best wishes,
Simon

4 Likes

Hi Simon, I like it very much … but I am eagerly waiting for the prerelease changes to become adapted in the main version to use it in my daily wikis

TEST #11 – Basic Image Gallery … (Rearranger)

Tested with MCL beta 58 on FF & Chrome desktop…

TT

Very cool @TiddlyTweeter !
Let’s see one of your demo wikies in action :slightly_smiling_face:

I have now refactored quite a bit of the UI and the Buttons and Keyboard Shortcuts so that the code-base became smaller (less code duplication)

Therefor I’ve released v0.63.0 now :partying_face:

Please report if you find any bugs or things you’d like to see fixed or changed :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you,
Simon

3 Likes

There is a strange bug in Chromium-based browsers which for now I’ve only encountered with the $:/ControlPanel tiddler open…

The problem is, that if you click a link within the $:/ControlPanel tiddler then it doesn’t scroll to the opened tiddler which is quite strange because it doesn’t happen with other tiddlers

If someone has an idea why this happens, or encounters the problem with other tiddlers, too, please let me know :slightly_smiling_face:

Best wishes,
Simon

1 Like

Issues Arising: First Thoughts On Ensembles

I hope I can explain this well enough!

An issue that came up for me is I do tend to use a different CSS stylesheet for every Layout “Ensemble”. So what I’m wondering is …

• … whether the Ensemble for a layout could have a field in which one can record a stylesheet associated with that layout. (There is also a question of whether it should be “activated” on load (i.e. tagged: “$:/tags/Stylesheet” on launch)

Thoughts, best, TT

Hi @TiddlyTweeter,

that’s a very good idea!

I could provide an input field where one can write a list of tiddlers that get the tag $:/tags/Stylesheet when the Ensemble is loaded.
When another Ensemble is loaded, the tags would then be removed

I can do that!

Best wishes,
Simon

Brilliant! That would be immensely practically useful if possible.
Grazie mille, TT

Hi @TiddlyTweeter , now I think the Ensemble saver is implemented with your desired functionality - which is - saving stylesheet tiddlers and loading them on demand.
I have also found a bug in the Ensemble saver which is now fixed.

Thanks,
Simon

Ciao @BurningTreeC, I did quick test with beta v68 for style management via Ensemble.
Works really well! Tx!

TT

@BurningTreeC
I use sidetabs in my wiki which appears on clicking the info button on the right side of the tiddler body as shown in the image below or by using alt+Z shortcut.

I use it mainly in my wiki based on krystal, so it works fine.

But when I use it in multicolumn or anyother storyview, the sidetabs goes beyond the bottom margin of the tiddler.

Is there any way to adjust the height of the tiddler body depending on the height of the sidetabs.

This is the tiddler responsible for the sidetabs - MultiColumn Layout — a non-linear personal web notebook

Here is the demo

I know that its not a problem specific to multicolumn. It works fine only in krystal since the tiddler height doesn’t matter in krystal. Unless there is an easy solution, you don’t have to respond to this request.

Is there keyboard shortcut to navigate to the current active tiddler (useful when we have scrolled to some other tiddler for cross referencing)
I saw a similar implementation in this wiki - https://keynav.tiddlyhost.com/
But this use javascript I guess.

I tried this code based on your other navigation shortcuts.

<$navigator story="$:/StoryList" history="$:/HistoryList">
<$set name="currentTiddler" value={{{ [list[$:/StoryList]{$:/HistoryList!!current-tiddler}] ~[list[$:/StoryList]nth[1]] }}}>
<$action-navigate $to=<<currentTiddler>>/>
</$set>
</$navigator>

This seem to work. Is this the correct way to do. I am not sure about the correctness of the code used. Again this is may not be compatible with multicolumn. So something similar for multicolumn also might be useful.