A multi-column Layout / Storyview

Yes! Thankyou! That looks good.

Thanks @arunnbabu81 , this should be fixed now

I don’t understand what’s happening on your laptop. Could you describe it a little bit better?

Thank you,
Simon

1 Like

No - it’s not fixed. But I tried :smiley:

2 Likes

Right!

TBH I’m trying to look at the issue not from the author perspective but as a TW put on the wild internet that could be used on several end-user platforms.

What keyboard shortcuts might be common between platforms?

(TBH, IMO, keyboard shortcut configuration cross-platform can become a nightmare??? Not BTC’s issue. He’s bending over backwards already :smiley: and done good.)

TT

TBH, I don’t think that is generally a problem.

For instance, IF someone needs to open 14 instances of their address label Tiddler (to be able to print them to physical labels that are 2 columns wide x 7 rows long) there is no need to auto-focus on one in particular.

Just a side comment, TT

Platform: Chromebook (O/S up to date)
Browser: Chrome
Device: Lenevo touchscreen tablet with hardware keyboard

Findings: (Note: I'm *no* expert on Chromebook shortcuts but I changed nothing in it's OS settings) ...

Alt-Shift-S – shows the OS sidebar not the TW one
Alt-Down – does nothing
Alt-Up – does nothing
Alt-Home – key does not exist??
Alt-End – key does not exist??
Alt-Shift-Down – does nothing
Alt-Shift-Up – does nothing

ALL the rest -- work as expected.

Footnote: I’m no way an expert on this kinda thing!
But @CodaCoder is. And it might be worth asking him to take a look from a Chromebook point of view??

Very best wishes, TT

Ciao BTC

I’m looking at the navigation in general a bit.

The tool is very sophisticated, yet is still, to it’s merit, TW standards compliant.

I do think “Tiddler focus” (especially when using keyboard shortcuts) is sometimes an issue. But I need to test that more to be able to explain the use cases coherently.

A dopo, TT

Thank you @TiddlyTweeter for reporting all these interesting findings!

I’d be very interested in what the $:/ControlPanel detects on your Chromebook if you change the shortcuts “navigate-Up” and “navigate-Down” and press “Alt-Up” and “Alt-Down” in the keyboard-shortcut-input field

1 Like

I’m afraid you’re mistaken. I’ve never seen a Chromebook, let alone used one – or ChromeOS, for that matter.

Sorry :frowning:

Eek! Terrible mistake on my part! :frowning: I Made a Mistake - YouTube (Mamma mia, where did I get that the idea you were Chromebook 101?) TT, x

I have to change the Ctrl-Alt-M/N to something else for it to work in my windows laptop. May be due to conflict with some browser shortcuts. Not sure why its happening.

This behavior is not seen now. What i meant was that when I press the shortcut to create or remove columns, all the tiddlers from all the columns were getting removed automatically (TW column framework is there in the background, but the tiddlers wont be seen)

My Chromebook inserts as follows into the M-C Keyboard Shortcuts

navigate-upalt-Up = “Page_up
navigate-downalt-Down = “Page_down
move-downalt-shift-Down = “shift-Page_down
move-upalt-shift-Up = “shift-Page_up

FYI, on Chromebooks, there are special key combos to emulate “Home/End” (not widely documented??) …

navigate-first ?? – ctrl-alt-Up = “Home
navigate-last ?? – ctrl-alt-Down = “End

Regarding alt-shift-S: I couldn’t get anywhere as the OS overrides attempts to enter it in the Keyboard Shortcuts, showing the OS sidebar instead. (The Chromebook keyboard is somewhat different than that on other platforms. For instance “Caps Lock” is actually replaced by “Search”; which can often be used as “Alt” too.)

I hope this answers what you were asking about! :slight_smile: TT

Thanks @TiddlyTweeter , very interesting!

But it confirms what I thought, that you should be able to define your own kb shortcuts for your chromebook

1 Like

Hi all,

I’ve released version 0.0.1-beta of the plugin

You ca find it here

Note that you need the current prerelease in order for it to work correctly

Best wishes,
Simon

3 Likes

Looking good! I’ll test more and report back.

TT

1 Like

Thanks Simon!

On an ipad with duckduckgo - everything works, it is a beauty!

On an android mobile with duckduckgo or firefox I’m getting unexpected results.

Tested on your own demo site. MultiColumn Layout — a non-linear personal web notebook

On duckduckgo with drag enabled pressing and holding a tiddler to drag causes it to disappear completely from column view. (Not deleted, but closed). With drag disabled it doesn’t disappear but text isn’t selectable either.

On firefox with drag enabled, pressing and holding a tiddler to drag only selects text or image download. Dragging doesn’t work.
With drag disabled text is selectable.

In short the drag/text toggle doesn’t seem to be working on android.

I’m not sure if dragging was ever doable on a mobile, but the disappearing tiddlers looks unintended.

Be interested to see if other android users see the same behaviour, or is it just my phone?

Best wishes

Ok! Point taken. If I bothered (basically I use d-n-d as it works well; so I don’t need keyboard shortcuts to do what I need) I’d try work out what keys are optimal on Chromebook so my end-users could benefit.

A problem is that the TW Keyboard Settings have no precise slot for Chromebook settings??? That seems to make it more complicated???

A comment, TT

Ciao Simon BTC

I have a request. Would it be possible to have an option to switch OFF all scrollers?

By way of background I been experimenting with the plugin as a tool to create website layouts that are “seamless”. It is looking very promising. (I’ll post an example once I properly tried the beta.)

Saluti, TT

It is NOT just your phone.

It is an irony that the (supposedly) best touch environments (smart phones) are basically, awful at d-n-d, that is easy on desktop or chromebook.

Architecturally I’m not sure what the answer is, though @BurningTreeC may know as he did stuff before on that kinda problem???

Just FYI, right now I’ll use Simon’s plugin to make wikis for reading on any platform, but won’t expose the tool-ology of it on Android at all yet.

Just a comment, TT

1 Like

You’re right TT, it works in all the right places and it’s still early days. The disappearing tiddlers are a bit weird, but it might be some kind of android quirk. I haven’t got an android tablet to test it on now, but it’s only feedback anyway, this plugin is getting better all the time. You’ve made something really useful BTC, thanks a lot!