A multi-column Layout / Storyview

Buongiorno @TiddlyTweeter ,

Yes we can do that

Very nice idea. I’ll add links to the configuration options in the ControlPanel which point to the corresponding config tiddler

Hi @TiddlyTweeter ,

now the configuration panel contains links to the various config tiddlers
the system-panel can also be disabled (button disappears and shortcut doesn’t work anymore)

2 Likes

Grazie mille! I feel special. You responded so positively to more than a few comments from me. I am very appreciative of all that work.

Regarding the change … for folk working between off-line making and on-line publishing these changes make it a bunch easier!

I feel a thanks song coming on …

WAY DOWN SOUTH -- Josh Turner

Auguri caro, TT

1 Like

TEST #4 – Going Out Of Viewport Right …

Result: Works WELL.

Viewport image …

The loaded available to the right, not visible till scrolled into view, another 12 …

Just a pointer this tool is great for right if you need it.

(@JanJo, will it do your need?)

RIGHT?

Just a test, TT

2 Likes

It is beautiful, but I need a more simple thing: The storyriver in horizontal. Storing and organizing so many storylists would be an overkill for a slideshow.
But I will certainly use the multicolumn-view for organizing stories.

1 Like

On behalf of this I can also contribute a little goodie:
I made a layout-button which allows switching layouts like the Theme-Button…and which is astonishingly still missing. It also works for multicollumn … though it is not displayed in the sidebar-menu yet.
LayoutButton.json (1.6 KB)

developped for my version of the horizontal Krystal-plugin which other than the original allows to switch between vertical default TW-Layout and horizontal view

1 Like

I note you noticed some residual minor browser issues …

It is good to know that.
These few issues are not yours.
Merely “browser catch-up” problems.

Side comment, TT

Hi @TiddlyTweeter , I was actually able to solve those problems :star_struck:

But new observations will go into this tiddler if there are

@JanJo
I Like the layout button.
Not sure if you have tweaked Krystal or if I should drop a line to the author but…
The make Tiddler full-width button persists across layouts as do the links thumbnails.

@BurningTreeC are these the kind of tweaks that I could make on a per layout basis and save with the Ensamble button? Does the Ensamble button save layouts?

Hi @Ste_W ,

The Ensemble button is supposed to save layouts, yes. But it does not yet save the full layout with all the configuration options. That’s an idea I got from your post and I’ll realize it.

Thanks,
Simon

3 Likes

Just a comment. The Ensemble approach is brilliant!

FYI I did some tests transporting an ensemble between wikis (both MCL enabled) and it basically worked though one or two settings were missing (at the time I tried it).

Just FYI, eventually, I’ll like try make an export macro that bundles an “Ensemble” with a bespoke CSS additional stylesheet to change things internal to tiddlers (e.g. internal Tiddler padding) for that Ensemble.

TT

Ciao BTC

One thing that came up in my testing was whether there was a way to apply a CSS Style Class to A column. (What I’m looking at is how to style Tiddlers differently by column. One wrapper class per column would let me cascade style changes just to the Tiddlers in that column).

Please note. This is just a query. I’m no way expecting you to do more for me, but I am interested in the question.

Best, TT

Hi @TiddlyTweeter ,

The columns have the class .tc-river-<columnNumber>
So the first column has the class .tc-river-1 , the second .tc-river-2 and so on

Best wishes,
Simon

Re: Styling Within Columns…

Excellent! Thanks for the heads-up! Very useful to know!

TEST #5 – Column Styling

This is a real neat feature of MCL!

In the test, the second column (via “.tc-river-2”) is styled differently than the other columns … Very easy to do.

TT

1 Like

TEST #6 – Column Styling + Individual Tiddler Styling

Further to my last, even within a story river styling, you can still style individual Tiddlers using the class field method to apply further styling.

In this test the Orange tiddler is coloured that way …

TT

3 Likes

I have a few suggestions to make

1. Create a tab bar like in Mentat at the top of each column for easy navigation between Tiddlers within a column - make it visible only hover for aesthetics

Or create a button at the top of each column like this Page TOC button

2. Make the sidebar tabs into cards like in the sidebar of JD’s whitespace theme.

Or make it possible to add custom sidebars like the sidebar of Whitespace theme by users.

3. Command palette plug in is not working when multicolumn plug in used.

1 Like

Hi @arunnbabu81 ,

I don’t want to add visual distraction to the layout itself

I could do that. Do you mean this button:

I believe the second sidebar can be used for that and it should be users to customize it to their liking

What isn’t working? I believe the command palette isn’t made to work with multiple columns and especially doesn’t know about the currently active column.

That’s fine

Yes, a button with similar functionality - but only if it doesn’t make layout complicated.

I will have to test that out. Will ask for help if needed.

I was not able to invoke the command palette modal window with keyboard shortcut.

Ah yes, it’s probably tagged $:/tags/PageTemplate and I don’t include tiddlers tagged with that tag. I’ll see what I can do about that