A generic guide for using tiddlywiki?

Over here I mention needing a “Minimal” Guide developed for inclusion in The essential editions of TiddlyWiki - #14 by TW_Tones and Supporting the Make TiddlyWiki your own - discussion it makes sense in my view for the community to collaborate on a general high level to using tiddlywiki, of course with links back to references etc… see the About Button or Tab on my Proof of Concept wiki Personal Notebook — A TiddlyWiki Essentials Edition

A generic guide for using tiddlywiki, just a basics of getting around. Some nice ones existed in the Past, but a sharable guide we collaborate on for inclusion in published wikis makes a lot of sense.

• Navigation
  • Creation
  • Organisation
  • WikiText or WYSIWYG

Perhaps as a plugin, ultimately in the core plugins, so updates can be retrieved, and include an extensible custom component for each wiki editions designer to supplement.

What do you think is essential user guidance for users new to TiddlyWiki?

• Excluding download and saver issues.

Tones,

Hi from me, we have not communicated in some time as I have been busy on other stuff. Back on Tiddlywiki now for a Policy & Procedure Manual wiki.

I think your idea is a great one. From my memory as a newbie user, all the info one needs is there but it was all over the place. This was especially tru with script for producing lists, how to address items, etc. Not sure if this has been addressed already but I found it most confusing at the beginning.

Maybe a Tiddlywiki library of documentation of useful widgets/plugins/scripts would be included in your idea. Maybe this is already available elsewhere, I am not sure.

bobj

We have what we call a TW seed that is using project based learning and has a suggested path for learning basics of TW, similar to the one that you’re proposing with more detailed activities. It’s only in Spanish for now, but and overview of the contents would be:

1. Introduction to wikis
  2. Navigation.
  3. Downloading and executing TW (we work in online/offline contexts)
  4. Persistence and Storage (Timimi)
  5. Configuring your wiki
  6. Tiddlers creation.
  7. WikiText.
  8. Publishing Wikis (Mostly TiddlyHost, but we explore Fossil for advance topics).
  9. Transclusion.
  10. Macros
  11. Filters.
  12. Extra resources.

We have tested an alternative route that starts with and online wiki and then goes to offline backups and is working better, as people has a published wiki first and then goes to customization and learning results and questions with other learners (the path would be 8, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 3).

Each activity has a call to action and a Q&A part. In the future, I would like to share learners answers and connect TW with a forum to ask discuss and grade answers (kind of a combination of TW, StackOverflow and Discuss and instant messaging… but the proper/working implementation would start as future learners cohorts arrive).

2 Likes