A few slugify minor problems (?) and wishes

In toying with slugify filter operator, I remarked a few problems not very important but anyway, here they are :

• the character (yes it’s one char) should be translated as three points ... and not removed. This is really a typographic enhancement for ... and since slugify would keep those ..., it should also transform into ... to be consistent;
  • the ß character should be translated to ss just like ij is currently translated to ij;
  • the þ should likewise be translated to th.

This being said, I also think that things like -. or .- or .. should be translated to . and also that final . should be removed and maybe even initial . too (who would want to hide a tiddler file within tiddlers file? but it could be kept as it would be on purpose.).

Perhaps slugify could have a parameter for keeping / (or \ on windows) to allow for sanitation of filepaths when directory structure is wanted? If you don’t mind not having _ in your filename, you can substitute _ by - then / by _ then slugify then substitute _ by / and you would get a substitute for this functionality.

Hi @jypre these are great suggestions. Adding optional flags for the slugify operator has come up before and gives us a good route to extend capabilities without breaking backwards compatibility.

Can I invite you to open a GitHub ticket? It’s easier to keep track of actionable items there.

I’ve posted 3 tickets to make things easier to decide and act.