Yucky import button, could we have a paperclip for "attach"?

I finally just discovered the “upload” button in TiddlyTalk, and I heavily dislike it. It looks too much like the export button in TiddlyWiki, and I can’t stand similar buttons having entirely different purposes.

When I post a message to a forum, it is like an email to me, so I look for a paperclip to attach a file to my message.

I have a hard enough time interpreting images as is (I do much better with words), but the majority of folk I think prefer images. So I’ll just ask for a paperclip for “attach”, to replace an “export” button for upload.

Ugh.

Perhaps someone can do the research on how to make this change in the simplified theme that I think you’re using?

You can also drag and drop images and other files into the Discourse compose window, just like many modern email clients.

Remember: you can post here by sending email too — so you can use tools you’re comfortable with.

Drag and drop. Double-yuck. Leave the window I’m working in to go into some other window and find the file to drag it over.

No worries. That one button is not going to fix my overall challenges with this forum anyway.

I’m curious Charlie, what do you use as your main email client?

I have to say that it is not very helpful to figure out that you have to upload a file when you just want to include a picture. It may technically be the same but from the point of view of a writer, this are two very different things.

In a more pedantic saying, this is an affordability problem. A picture icon for the image would be better. it would sit next to the upload, and would trigger the same code (with a restriction for image files if possible) but this not a problem. A GUI may and often should provide several ways to achieve the same thing (activate the same code in the software).

Gmail mostly, Outlook a little.

Whether pictures or JSON files with tiddlers, same difference to me. All attachments to me.

When I do want to embed a picture in an email, same process to me (i.e. I don’t drag and drop.) Drag and rop takes my focus away from the task at hand (the email, the post, whatever), which is trivial for most folk, but it is a distraction when the disability is attention-regulation problems. Not something that should matter just once in a while, but when attention-regulation is a 24x7 thing, every little transition is exhausting.

So pas de problème. I’ve got it.

I don’t drag and drop either, but I don’t want attachment to be on display while I want pictures to be. If I attach a picture, I want to provide it without it to clutter the display. That is very seldom the case.

But definitely a lesser problem.