Which flavour of Markdown? How about WikiText?

Which of the various styles of markdown does this Discourse implementation support? After a few tests, it’s clear it supports more than classic Markdown. However, the editor toolbar doesn’t give any hint of this (e.g. there is no button for strike-through or table creation even though those abilities exist).

Oh! Can Discourse have multiple markup engines? In other words, could it support WikiText (not macros of course, just the markup).

Thanks!

The engine Discourse uses is Markdown-It

Follows the CommonMark spec + adds syntax extensions & sugar (URL autolinking, typographer).

There is some developer docs for use with Discourse here, which indicates one can build extensions to the engine.

So if a subset of WikiText could be implemented as Markdown-It extensions that might work.

Yep, I think the editing toolbar focuses on supporting the basics.

Copy/paste from HTML pages imports to Markdown including formatting and works pretty well.

Maybe a strange question @boris, but I think some of the Google Groups “code” gets garbled by the time Discourse has it’s way with it. Do you know if it’s possible/easy to selectively turn off Markdown-ification of that one specific source to prevent this?

Not a strange question at all. There is the email client or web interface that the person uses to make the post, then whatever mangling GG does before it sends it, then translation from email receive to Discourse post.

Short answer is no, there isn’t a way to turn it off selectively.

I know that @EricShulman is selectively editing GG posts so they look better here, especially for code samples.

Ciao @Mark_S

My understanding is that Discourse supports markup in a variety of ways …

1 - MOST of CommonMark (which bits of are not explicitly documented as far as I can see. I think that the Discourse platform does try to keep up with its changes???)

2 - SOME old style BB code patterns (which bits work of it are not explicitly documented as far as I can see)

3 - A lot of Raw HTML (which elements of that are NOT supported are not documented as far as I can see)

Basically, try it, because there ain’t no definitive docs as far as I can see.
@boris may correct me!

In text, TT