Where can I learn how to build a sortable todo list?

I want to be able to have all my todo tasks from various tiddlers show up on one tiddler, and be sorted by various metrics like priority, date created, type, etc. I also want to be able to check them off, and have them disappear from this main list, but still be on their original list.

Are there any tutorials around that cover these topics you can point me to?

Thank you.

There is a basic guide on Tiddlywiki.com for making one that shows any tiddler tagged todo in the list using the checkbox widget, and tags it done when the checkbox is checked.

If you’re looking for something a bit more feature rich, you could try Todolist, or even Kara both of which are very useful todo list type plugins made by Kookma, who makes a good deal of handy tools, with Kara being more so a minimalized list maker.

As far as making your own custom todo list with those features, you might need to look into how todolist functions and build your own system, as I don’t know of anything atm that does those specific things.

Hope this at least helps some, I know it’s probably not the exact answer you’re looking for :sweat_smile:

Edit: also, welcome to talk.tiddlywiki!

1 Like

I will look into all the information you have given me here. Thank you. :slight_smile:

A couple more excellent resources in addition to @Mohammad’s Kara and Todolist:

2 Likes

This may not be exactly what you’re looking for, but this is how I have my todo list setup. Most of this is inspired by https://rr-tw5.github.io/:

• I have a shortcut that creates a new todo item whenever I press ctrl+enter. This is inspired by https://rr-tw5.github.io/. This works really nicely along with Streams by @saqimtiaz .
    The shortcut simply inserts a checkbox with a link to TODO:
<$checkbox tag="done" /> [[TODO]]  
  • I add metadata links to each todo item (e.g., you could add [[High Priority]], [[Project A]], etc…)
    ** @TW_Tones gave me the great idea and solution to formatting these differently than the rest of the text
  • I have a view template that shows the backlinks to todo items in most of my tiddlers. For example, if you go to the TODO tiddler, you can see all of your todo items. If you go to the Project A tiddler, you will see all of the items for that project.
    So, you can do something like…
<$list filter="[all[current]backlinks[]!tag[done]!tag[hide-backlinks]search[TODO]!is[system]sort[created]]">

{{!!text}}<br><small><$link>{{!!title}}</$link><br></small>

</$list>

I also have reveal widgets to hide/show the completed items. Let me know if you would like any more details on any of that. Hopefully it gives you some ideas.

1 Like

Welcome @John

An answer of a general nature is we can list any thing with a list widget that is driven by filters including any sort operator you wish. Filters are perhaps the most powerful feature of tiddlywiki and whilst it takes time to learn them the power it grants is massive.

However out of the box the “tag” pill, the rounded button that appears for tags, displays the list of tagged items and you cna reorder that list with drag and drop. In this case you do not use sort in the filter.