URLs as tiddler titles?

What arguments are there against, say, copy-pasting arbitrary URLs and using them as tiddler titles? Never mind why anyone would want to do that, at least for now, but I’m wondering for example if there are any characters allowed in URL’s that are not appropriate in tiddler titles or that would mess up filters, etc?

I can state one issue: Using URL’s as dictionary indices is a problem because of the : character.

What could go wrong if a wiki has a load of tiddlers with “URL-titles”?

Related question: Does clicking the permalink/permaview button result in the same string regardless of OS and browser?

Is this question related to Variable as argument when it, itself, requires a variable argument ?

If yes I would use 3 different state-tiddlers and store the list of tiddlers in the text with new-lines as a separator.

This will make it possible to use the tag-picker macro to move the different tiddlers between different state-lists.

So you can avoid the problem with dictionaries.

If yes I would use 3 different state-tiddlers and store the list of tiddlers in the text with new-lines as a separator.

Brilliant! It took some re-reads of that sentence to grok what you mean but, yes, avoiding the dictionary colon syntax by instead making one tiddler per state is an excellent idea!

Can you think of any other potential problem with “URLs as titles”? It’d be particularly sensitive if it messes with filters but, of course, URLs are themselves picky about what characters are allowed or not.

@anyone
Related question: Does clicking the permalink/permaview button result in the same string regardless of OS and browser?

Yes. The permaview button creates an URL string. They are the same for all OSes and browsers.

1 Like