TiddlyPWA: Secure offline storage and cross-device synchronization solution

IMPORTANT: everyone please update to 0.1.4! This version disables lazy-loading, which was (of course…) causing more problems than anticipated: for example tiddlers weren’t fully loaded when making exports/backups, leaving those without the actual data. Sorry about that :confused:

https://tiddly.packett.cool/#UpdateInPlace

There’s also a server update in this version: lowering memory usage on big syncs. Instructions on updating the server have been added to the hosting docs.

7 Likes

Is it safe to upgrade the core to 5.3.1?

1 Like

Released 0.2.0:

• added an always-visible sync indicator in the toolbar #3 (oop, it looks a bit funny when spinning, I’ll replace the icon in the next update)
  • now saving while a long slow sync is going on will re-trigger a sync after that first sync is done, so you wouldn’t end up with an unsynced write if you quickly opened the wiki and made a change while your Glitch-hosted server was still waking up (something I’ve noticed myself but no one reported, heh)
  • fixed importing wikis with plugins / generally “content tiddlers not being saved after a plugin/module has been imported” #28
  • added warning when a tiddler deleted from the database remains in the app file #6
  • core updated to 5.3.1 on the website (of course it was safe @danielw2904! generally we don’t expect any breakage, especially not in minor releases)
  • it is now possible to purchase a “supporter key” from my Patreon “shop” and save it to the wiki to see a cute message in the control panel :smiley: (shhh don’t tell Patreon staff but this is basically a trick to allow (something morally equivalent to) one-time donations, without the whole subscribe-and-unsubscribe dance)

As always, update using https://tiddly.packett.cool/#UpdateInPlace.

Coming up next is probably a cool feature proposed by a supporter: an API for writing to the wiki from scripts/webhooks as discussed #29! And I have promised whole-server backup buttons #18 a couple months ago but it was a bit frustrating to see that SQLite doesn’t have a dump-as-SQL-text option in the library (it’s only in the shell binary) and I kinda gave up due to that but I promise I’ll come back to solving that.

7 Likes

Hi @valpackett it’s great to see these updates, thank you. TiddlyPWA is very usable, and the implementation is elegant and flexible. For a lot of users, I think it is now the most approachable way to use TiddlyWiki without sacrificing privacy.

It reminds me that we’re not currently linking to TiddlyPWA from tiddlywiki.com. We need a tiddler tagged “Saving” to appear in “GettingStarted”. I’ll attend to that when I get chance, but would welcome a PR to the tiddlywiki-com branch if you’d like to do it.

I’m also thinking about replacing the “Desktop” card in the QuickStart of “HelloThere” with one for TiddlyPWA. We’ve had a number of problems recently with anti-virus software flagging TiddlyDesktop (apparently it uses a component that is also used by some malware). Issues like that are intrinsic to delivering native software, and make developing TiddlyDesktop expensive and dispiriting. I’ll give it some more thought but would welcome any other views.

8 Likes

Hi @valpackett, I’d just like to say this is amazing work you’ve done here. I was actually in the middle of working on something like this for my own project, but had to shelve it due to day job obligations. My apologies if this is redundant question: I assume TPWA is able to handle plugins containing JavaScript, correct? Many thanks. We should definitely promote this more to new users seeking to get started with tiddlywiki quickly without much fuss. Incorporating more APIs for different backend services would also be smashing.

1 Like

Yes, of course there’s no problem with plugins. If you host the app wiki directly on a sync server (i.e. use the suggested workflow) you even get easy plugin installation! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do you know if TWPWA allows you to use the RawMarkup tag? I tried it and it wasn’t working, but I doubt I was setting everything up correctly on TPWA. I use that tag to pull in some custom CSS from a CDN location.

What does the browser dev console say? We don’t currently set any CSP restrictions or anything on the wiki app pages served from the sync server… (however, not a fan of pulling things from CDNs at all)

Normally you are right, but I pull in the Tailwind styles this way (not ideal, but it works) and it gives me limitless styling capability in TiddlyWiki.

There are no errors in the console. The $:/tags/RawMarkup works if I just put in a style section or something, but if I try and put in <script src="https://cdn.tailwindcss.com"></script> it doesn’t work.

This does work on TW hosted on TiddlyHost or local however.

1 Like

Ohh right. RawMarkup is used for regenerating the wiki HTML, you need to save the app wiki to apply those, but currently only modules (plugins/themes) would be included. You can override $:/plugins/valpackett/tiddlypwa/app-filter adding for example [tag[$:/tags/RawMarkup]] to the end, then your tiddler would be included when generating the new app HTML.

1 Like

I am really impressed with this solution @valpackett, I had done a lot of research on this in the past, tried to encourage a PWA version to get past the saving issues with tiddlywiki, no click and use. But my skills were not broad enough in this area. Thank you.

But my own attempts to follow the instructions get lost due to jargon or need to know information (I dont have) to set up the server.

Please tell me If I am wrong;

The architecture of a PWA is that it is hosted at a location online, once you visit that website you can elect to install a local copy on your machine. It works and saves locally out of the box.

• Many PWA’s also allow the local copy to be synchronised online so that the same data become available if you run the same PWA on different devices or over time.

It seems to me we could make use of two PWA types

1. PWA with server sync as described above, I will call this a “Roaming PWA”.
  2. A simpler version that can be obtained from a URL and installed locally and only used locally. Perhaps a “Local only PWA”
    2.1 This is somewhat in keeping with owning your own data that a local tiddlywiki does so well, also if you have a node server you control.

The blockage for me is understanding how to implement the first “Roaming PWA” and understand how we could handle a lot of people subscribing to out PWA and the server implications.

I would also be keen to see if we can publish a tiddlywiki at a simple URL that people could then make it their own through a local PWA and solve their saving issues. This may not need additional internet resources or demand and ongoing “subscription”.

This is so important to me, and the ongoing success of tiddlywiki, I will offer any help needed to build documentation or custom solutions for making use of this technology. But of course until I can do it myself this will be difficult.

• A final issue to consider is users having PWA in which you can drop files and media to make use of the file uploads plugin approach, to save files externally (but local) and provide an external reference to them.
    • For example to use ones local SSD/HDD/LAN to store the media and keep the wiki light. This local data storage can be much cheaper than online storage.
    • This is not compatible with a roaming PWA, but does not depend on a server.

These solutions have the potential to go down in TiddlyWiki History as the day it became really available to everyone.

1 Like

That worked perfectly. Thanks!

Wow, the ability to add a thing to the wiki via a webhook would mean I could write an iOS shortcut which added a tiddler, put it in the share sheet, and my bookmarking wiki would suddenly be on a par with (e.g.) Pocket as far as convenience!!

1 Like

Over the last week I have been mulling over an idea for cross tab/browser/device sync to address my own use cases, where the concept involves using IndexedDB storage and Broadcast Channels. While I had tested TiddlyPWA as soon as it was announced, it was only when my search for others working with Broadcast Channels and IndexedDB in TW led me back to TiddlyPWA that I first looked at the code.

Very impressive, elegant and thorough work @valpackett!

I need to find the time to investigate how TiddlyPWA interacts with savers. The overall usage pattern that interests me personally is having copies of the same wiki locally on different machines that can save themselves using a saver, and can also sync with each other using a sync server.

Splitting out the IndexedDB syncer implementation as a separate plugin would have value for users in of itself to protect against data loss when using other saving mechanisms, though I understand that decoupling it so that it could be used with or without TiddlyPWA would be tricky.

I noticed that you had to work around some core design decisions in places. Please do open Issues for such things on GitHub or start threads for them here in the Developer category, and wherever backwards compatibility allows we should address them in the core.

5 Likes

I would love to be able to sync multiple local copies together. Another app I’ve used does this (GitHub - actualbudget/actual: A local-first personal finance app) with CRDT’s and it’s pretty neat. The only issue I had with that particular app was that if I left the network and the page fell out of memory and refreshed, I wouldn’t be able to get back to it without reconnecting to the server. I think having a PWA version of TW solves that issue though.

Thanks! :3

The real mismatch with core is that core only offers an API for sync adaptors that are… well, only that, while what I’m doing with IndexedDB is really a replacement in-memory storage backend. Everything would be a bit simpler if core could just allow a plugin to tell it “i’m a storage backend, call me every time you want to look up a tiddler or save a tiddler in memory”.

Your use case prooobably wouldn’t be completely impossible… though it does sound like everything would have the potential to be quite confusing in that setup. You’d have these local wiki files that contain both a snapshot/backup basically and a storage plugin that would, when connected to the server, fill the browser storage with overrides of what was there in the file, and e.g. if you delete a tiddler but don’t save the file locally (i.e. it only gets reflected in indexeddb+sync) and reload the page, that tiddler will reappear (from the file). Basically that’d be using 2 storage backends simultaneously which would probably be complicated to get right, and I don’t see why one would want that.

In terms of mismatch with the core I was also thinking about smaller things like the core not exporting a function for startup story handling.

Right, my first instinct was also that it does not fit with the way TiddlyPWA works as a replacement in-memory storage backend. Where I find myself now is contemplating whether to proceed with further exploring my original concept, or whether I could adapt my personal workflow enough for the PWA approach to be viable.

Without getting into too much detail and derailing the thread, what I have been exploring is having local wiki files that save locally using a saver, and also synchronize with a private GitHub repo. The purpose of the synchronization is to keep different copies of the same wiki up to date with each other, so that changes from one are reflected in the other when they are online and able to sync.

I definitely do see myself using TiddlyPWA for other scenarios and it would be nice if as a community we could write up guides for deploying servers on other providers that offer a free tier (AWS, Oracle Cloud). I’ll take a crack at doing so for OCI as soon as time permits.

This is kind of what @jeremyruston is experimenting with in the Multi Wiki Store branch using SQLite. Might be worth following or getting your input. :slight_smile:

As to Syncing, I’ve come around to the idea that there should be a “fast-sync” layer that gets active wikis in memory in sync with each other (and could optionally also sync user details like cursor positions), and a “slow sync” layer that is actually writing to a shared data store that new wikis loaded into memory get “initialized” from.

Hard problem, especially around “source of truth” and possibly CRDT live multiplayer code. (Yjs also uses IndexedDB and WebRTC in some clients). Getting close to something tho.

Hi @valpackett

The mismatch here is that IndexedDB only offers an asynchronous API, while the core wiki store object has to be synchronous. That’s really what a syncadaptor does: allows an asynchronous API as backing store. In that sort of situation one can think of the wiki object in memory as a cache.

I have experimented with pluggable alternate implementations of the core wiki object. See the “demo-alternate-store” branch at GitHub - Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5 at demo-alternate-store

1 Like