Proof of Concept: Gatha a Plugin Maker and Content Manager

Ref: https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/discussions/5462

Recently it was proved that plugins can be used very effectively for distributing e-books. During the pandemic I tried to distribute course notes using plugins. Student can open tiddlers, edit them, add comments and if they delete, they always have the original course notes intact.

In computing, a plug-in (or plugin , add-in , addin , add-on , or addon ) is a software component that adds a specific feature to an existing computer program. When a program supports plug-ins, it enables customization.[1] [From WikiPedia]

Gatha [1] is a new tool to create in the browser plugins of different types, including

• standard plugins and themes
  • lectures
  • books
  • presentations
  • brochures
  • pamphlets

Gatha can do what Tinka does, but it has a simpler UI, more options and features to create different components (e.g notes, brochures, lectures,…)

Gatha is developed using pure wikitext! No JS at all!

Demo and Code

stay tuned :wink:

Credit: Gatha is inspired by ThirdFlow (TheDiveO)

More information
[1] Gatha (Zoroaster) - Wikipedia

Releases

Updates from 2022.02.03
See Gatha Plugin: Experimental Release - Plugins - Talk TW (tiddlywiki.org)

4 Likes

What do you think? Are you interested to have such a tool?
In place, in browser create, edit and publish Tiddlywiki components!
Make plugins of other types! The Others :wink:

Your ideas, comments, feedback are highly welcome!

1 Like

I’m tuned. All I get is dead air/white noise. Should I adjust my aerial/antenna? :wink:

Your thoughts are highly welcome!

Hi Mohammad, this sounds very interesting. I have been a Tinka user for my plugins and themes, so I would be willing to try a new tool with more options. I hope the additional features do not make it more complicated …

Do you have a timeline?

(My Tix project might reach maturity to become a plugin within the next month or so.)

All the best,
Thomas

Hi Thomas,
Actually I am working on it and I hope I have the first public release in mid February! In the meantime I would push any code to GitHub repo! The main features planned are:

• a sidebar contains plugins folder (or namespace)
  • a tree with collapsible branches of all tiddlers contained in the plugin. each branch keeps tiddlers of same category like macros, styles, …
  • simple addition of macro/stylesheets/other-tiddlers to plugin using predefined templates
  • boilerplate tiddlers to add quickly readme, license, history
  • live editing
  • export button to fire the save dialogue and export plugin as json or tid file
  • export button to fire the save dialogue and export an empty.html with new plugin included
  • export button to fire save dialogue and export a zipped empty.html plus plugin

Flexibility

• the restriction of having plugins name (prefix $:/plugins/publisher/name) for content plugins are removed
  • Still it requires to have plugin-name/tiddler

Issues

• main issue is with content plugins (e.g presentation, course notes, …)
  • they need to be loaded if we want to use their tiddlers like ordinary tiddlers e,g to appear in search

I would welcome to have your comment!

Credit: Gatha is inspired by ThirdFlow (TheDiveO)

4 Likes

That’s some quite lofty aims there, @Mohammad. I’m very much looking forward to it.

2 Likes

Gatha has had some good progress to have a beta release to experiment with.

With Gatha a child from primary school can create and distribute Tiddlywiki plugins :sweat_smile: :wink: :sweat_smile:

It is like a wizard! :wink: :wink:

Did you know Gatha from part of old Persia (now is called Armenia) is also the name of some sweet bread! In English it is called Gata!

Tiddlywiki Gatha Plugin is a sweet gata!

Ref
[1] Gata (food) - Wikipedia
[2] Gata | Traditional Sweet Bread From Armenia | TasteAtlas

3 Likes

You make me hungry for Gatha. :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Thomas,

Gatha is ready to be served! Please have some pieces! Let me know if you like its taste :wink: :sweat_smile:

Gatha Plugin: Experimental Release - Plugins - Talk TW (tiddlywiki.org)

2 Likes