Possibility to improve the uni-link plugin documentation

Hi, I did create the uni-link plugin. What was the problem to understand the plugin. It would be nice to get some feedback here or at GitHub so I do have the chance to improve it.

Have fun!
Mario

1 Like

@Travis_Garris … It would be nice, if you could comment here.

To get the link part working where it shows the caption if it is available, you have to go into the settings of the TiddlyWiki and select Caption (or one of the other options if you want). I didn’t realize that at first.

This was further confused by my thought that I wanted to use an alias, so I thought the “Alias Link Syntax” would work, but we were thinking of two different uses of the term ‘alias’. I was thinking I wanted the link to show an alias when embedded in this article. The alias link syntax in your macro was relying on the alias field of other tiddlers.

That was my confusion. I wanted it to show an alias, but alias was a reserved keyword, so when it was talking about alias it wasn’t talking about the type of aliasing I was looking for. Now that I get that, it works.

I have never used the alias field, by the way. I think I have found a place where I should’ve, though. I set up an article about the “County of Dara”. Well, currently, it is known as a Chiefdom or Tribe. So I created two more articles that simple {{include}} the main article. I guess what I should’ve done was put those aliases in the alias field.

Thanks for the feedback. I will have a closer look

That’s kind of intentional. At a second thought, I shouldn’t have implemented that functionality this way. Since the setting is global IMO it’s not flexible enough. It’s an “all” or “nothing” behaviour.

Users should use the “alias format” [[alias|?c]] or [[alias|?caption]]. There is almost the same amount of chars, but it’s much more flexible and also more verbose. …

If someone is new to a wiki that uses the global setting and they have a look at the wikitext, they see a link to the title, but a different “caption” text is visible in view mode. That’s confusing. …

Yes. That’s one of the reasons, why the uni-link plugin was created.

An other reason is, that aliases are not case sensitive. So you can change the way your write them. eg: At the start of a sentence use uppercase. In the middle use lowercase links.

It’s been awhile since I’ve looked at uni-link. To me, what it seems to miss is the ability to quickly change the pretty link. I guess a syntax like

[[My Alias|?a|My newly displayed title]]

which would display:

My newly displayed title

Currently the only way I see to do this is to add your own custom field with a new pretty link text. But that’s a bit tedious when all you want to do is to change how the link looks, not what it links to.

If you’re writing some sort of documentation, you could easily change the pretty link text a half dozen times before you settled on a final version.

Thanks for listening!

That’s an interesting idea. I think, it should be possible to create a link like this: [[alias|?|My newly displayed title]] … It would be worth to make some experiments.

1 Like

I did review the issue - lists of my plugins and stumbled upon this request again. … I think I found a format that will work very well. … Not only for this request, but also for many more possibilities.

eg: [[alias-name||?t|My newly displayed link title]] … where ?t … the t would probably be user definable and could be any variable name that is available to the link and “My ... title” would be the first parameter

At the moment the uni-link plugin is translated to a <$macrocall ... widget. In the future it should be possible to use a parameterised transclusion

The format is very closely related to the parameterised transclusion
{{title||template|param 1|param 2|param 3}}

So the function should be possible once TW v5.3.0 is available. More thoughts are on GitHub