Navigate within a tiddler

Hello Forum,

is there a way to navigate within a tiddler (for normal and edit mode)?

• go to bottom
  • go to top
  • jump to next heading level (up / down)

Thanks for feedabck
Stefan

1 Like

Any idea?
Thanks, Stefan

To answer your question I think it will help if you provide a little more information

• What is the nature of the content in your tiddler?
  • To what. within that content, do you wish to navigate?
  • Do you want to do the same in other tiddlers?
  • Are you happy to make manual links and anchors or do you have a lot of content and need some automation?

Hello Tones,

I’ve long Text-Tiddlers and would like have quick access to different parts of the document during reading/editing without navigating with the scrollbar.
eg. go to headlines (H1, H2, H3…), go to top, go to bottom

like Liquid mode - see:

Thanks
Stefan

I think the problem is, you want all the text in ONE tiddler. That is contrary to the concept of tiddlers:

Philosophy of Tiddlers.

That is also why you can find several solutions for piecing tiddlers together looking kind of what you want.

You show an example using one pdf file - above solutions can be in one TW.html file.

The question of having all the information in one tiddler and navigating through it has been discussed in the GG several times. Sorry I do not recall any links for that.

I am sure it can be done somehow, but not so sure it is a good idea?

1 Like

Thanks for feedback, Birthe.

Just to clarify: I don’t have only one tiddler.
A long Text tiddler can have 10 screen pages… than navigating within would be a cool thing!

Regards

Stefan

Well, maybe Anchor Links using HTML. That is a very long tiddler - There are some examples of jumping to top and bottom.

How are you connecting your tiddlers into that one long text tiddler?

Stefan,

In Long tiddlers containing mostly text you could do something like replace ! for headings with <h1>Heading</h1> etc, so then you could put say an ID=AA1 through to say ID AA20.
<h1 ID=AA4>Heading</h1> then you can create links to jump to the next heading, or create a table of contents. This is the HTML approach that Birthe mentioned and I was go0ing to say.

However if your long tiddler is made up of multiple tiddlers displayed using a List widget there are other ways to do this inside the list process.

Personally I tend to only have a single long tiddler when it is need for printing (to PDF) other wise break it into multiple tiddlers / sections (use the excise button if needed) and then link all these with a tag (eg the main tiddlers title is the tag). You get a lot more control this way and it follows the tiddlywiki philosophy.

For example then you can use Mohammad’s Shiraz and the “Next | Previous” macro and read one “section at a time” Shiraz 2.4.1 — create stylish contents in Tiddlywiki @Mohammad - I am having trouble searching Shiraz to find the next/prev with tag.

I have another idea I will try out and reply soon.

Hi Tones
The Previous | Next buttons is part of Simple Navigation in kookma Utility Plugin!

1 Like

Thanks for all feedback.

I see it is not that easy.
I was thinking about a keyboard shortcut and no additional coding within the text tiddler.
eg: using keyboard shortcut to jump to next “!” or “!!” or “!!!”… of open tiddler.

Stefan

Stefan,

If you are wondering why this is not straightforward it is because most websites move from one html page to another. Thus anchors will be unique to each page, however in tiddlywiki it is hard to keep them unique to each page, because it depends on which tiddlers are displayed.

Now you say keyboard shortcut, someone else may have a solution?

Did your try any of the previous suggestions?

However I recommend at this point splitting tiddlers and using Mohammad’s aforementioned next | Prev solution.

Others may come back with a solution as well.

I am working on a method to transclude tiddlers,
giving each a <h1 id="automatic">*tiddlername*></h1> as an anchor.