More direct way to insert "[[" and "]]" in filters

@TW_Tones those all seem like separate issues from the OP, and so would perhaps be more useful/visible in their own thread(s).

Hm, I thought suffixes are special per operator. Are they not? Or are there more operators, beyond addprefix, addsuffix, removeprefix, removesuffix that are relevant for this?

I agree when the are to be tackled in detail new and focused threads are needed, However they are alternatives that may address directly the current topic “More direct way to insert “[[” and “]]” in filters”, or even a more general form “More direct way to insert ‘special characters’ in filters” (including the delimiter’s used within filters).

So they need to remain “Mentioned here”. Expanded elsewhere.

I like the way @saqimtiaz use these kind of concatenations!
In some of his works I see a .printf() macro which will produce final results including wrapping in double brackets etc.

So, I think we always have new questions on how concatenate variables / fields/transclude values, etc in a special form. With the advent of macro parameters in filter run, I think .printf makes more sense!

What do I recommend?

I also recommend a balance between simplicity, easy of understanding and ease of use and functionality! So, I myself am not a fan of creating more and more grammar/operators/syntax in each new Tiddlywiki version! Instead I think we should have few per year and we should justify the need for new operator/new syntax/…

I am very much in favor of preparing a subset of Tiddlywiki syntax (widgets, filters, operators,…) and practices for making Tiddlywiki an easy environment to script semantically and logically! This will help a shorter learning curve and better understating!

SideNote: Fortran is the oldest programming language, it still supports its old codes from 1970, but there are books, good practices, how to program in Fortran in 2021. There are also switches to turn on/off to tell comelier what syntax shall be in use! what syntax shall be considered as error and not acceptable!!

May be Tiddlywiki can have such switches!

1 Like

I’ve added ticket for the charcode macro proposal:

3 Likes