Me no want search results hidden

Hi everyone

At some point, either due to a plugin or to changes in the core, there was a change to the sidebar search results. They used to show up automatically as a popup covering the sidebar. Now they generally turn up to the right of the search window as a down arrow icon and the number of matches. One has to click on that to see the search results as a popup.

I imagine this is a plus for many people - continued access to the sidebar, no slowdown when searching in big files, etc. To me it is an extra click to get to the results. Is there a way to undo this change so the results show up as soon as I am typing?

Do you mean while you type in the search box, the popup does not automatically display or are you saying something else?

Are you able to duplicate the issue at https://tiddlywiki.com/? When I type into the sidebar search box, the popup comes up automatically.

I meant that the popup does not automatically display.

After seeing your reply, I got the idea to search for the word ‘matches’ in my system tiddlers. Turns out the culprit is $:/plugins/snowgoon88/edit-comptext

I will see if there is a workaround. But if anyone uses that plugin and knows how to get around what it does to the search window, that would be great.

1 Like

The problem is probably in the tiddler $:/plugins/snowgoon88/edit-comptext/completion.js.

However I should note that this plugin is really important to me…

It has being a while since I used comptext perhaps autocomplete is the sucessor and with an active community we have a mounting library of triggers and actions

Oh, I would also add the link button in the editor toolbar ctrl-L is more poweful than I realised. I plan to publish some tips about this. Here is a preview;

Editor toolbar Link button uses the shortcut Ctrl-L which is worth memorising

Example uses follow,

select some text and

• [[Wrap something|]] giving [[Wrap something|]], ctrl-L enter, creates a link to a missing tiddler
    • note how the empty |]] makes no difference, it’s just a wiki link, and can be used instead of shift-alt-L
    • however you can enter an alternative title later, or edit.
  • Wrap wrap a [[word or phrase|redirected here]] and redirect the link to elsewhere
    • search for an existing tiddler
    • type a new tiddler title
    • enter or paste a tiddler title
    • enter or paste an external link, on windows ctrl-v and try win+v
      • to a url or any protocol
  • Wrap wrap a [[word or phrase|TTTT Tony’s tiny tiddlywiki tips - tiddly tips]] and link it to an existing tiddler

Don’t select text

• Simple ctrl-L
    • search for an existing tiddler [[tiddler title link]]
    • type a new tiddler title [[new title link]]
    • enter or paste a tiddler title [[pasted title]]
    • enter or paste an external link [[https://tiddlywiki.com/#]]
2 Likes

I’m not able to duplicate the issue here: Edit-CompText Demo — a demo of the Edit-CompText plugin for TiddlyWiki5.

Do you have evidence more than just your search for the word ‘matches’ which points the finger at this plugin? For example, did you disable the plugin and the issue went away?

There have been no intended changes. It’s bug witch chromium based browsers.
There is an other thread here in the forum. We don’t know where it came from atm.

Thanks pmario for the official answer on what happened. Bug witches are terrible. :slight_smile: Thanks to the others for your comments, ideas and offers to help.

Definitely going to play with ctrl-L

1 Like

More accurately: select text, for example alias, use ctrl-L, enter a tiddler name in the popup, and the result is [[alias|tiddler name]].

That is REALLY helpful. A big thanks to those who added this feature, and a big thanks to you for calling my attention to it.

Is there an equivalent ctrl-something for transclusions? [edit: shift alt T wraps in curly brackets]

I have played with making one but each time I do it gets “design creep” like {{ vs {{|| and allowing a template such as {{selection||foundtemplate}}.

• I also see value in only sourcing the Template title from a subset of tiddlers to simplify selection.
  • Here is one, but not shortcut configured.
  • Shift alt T fails on my Firefox as something else is triggered.

I will share a button shortly / here it is.

editorToolbar-transclude.json (11.2 KB)

see $:/PSaT/EditorToolbar/transclude for basic documentation

Feedback requested.

Hmmm, you may need to work on this a bit. I am in Chrome:

• Selecting text, clicking the button, choosing a tiddler to link to and hitting save, does nothing. The selected text remains selected.
  • Selecting text and using Shift alt T simply wraps with curly brackets

seems to work for me, did you save and reload for the modual?

Ah that’s it, when all else fails, restart the compooter. Or its TW equivalent of saving and refreshing.

had it being a plugin rather than package it may have prompted for a reload.