Is there any plug-in that makes posting pictures in tiddlywiki easier?

I put some pictures on the image host in advance and then call them up. Is there a better way to accomplish this process?

Hi pkuadt,

I think the answer depends on how you’re running and hosting tiddlywiki.

If you use github, for example, there’s a plugin by @saqimtiaz that enables you to drag images to your wiki, but which does not then load down the wiki with the full image data, but instead creates corresponding files within your github directory. (My explanation may be clunky — see this thread: File Uploads plugin beta: feedback)

I’d love to see a plugin like that for tiddlyhost. For my uses, tiddlyhost is great except that I need a separate hosting solution for my images (apart from whatever tiny ones I don’t mind getting directly encoded in the wiki). I’m doing OK with dropbox, but doing so much copy-paste of image urls (and changing dl=0 to raw=1 manually, or setting up an automation to do that) is sometimes a hassle.

I think people who use node.js and/or Bob may have entirely different solutions. I know just enough to know that I don’t know enough :laughing: — that is, enough to suggest that more information might enable others to help you better.

1 Like

I prefer html to node.js, because html is easy to share.

My golden standard for external image files is using relative paths.
Don’t upload anything in advance, or do, but don’t link directly from there.

Set up you wiki along with one or more sibling folders for external files from where you link your image files using relative paths, then upload your entire folder containing the wiki along with the image files to your web host, recreating the same folder structure there.

Like say

My Wiki
  ├ Wiki.html
  └ Images
      ├Image A.jpg
      ├Image B.jpg
      ├Image C.jpg
      └etc

If you set up your files correctly using relative paths in the _canonical_uri field, (like say images\photo.jpg) then it is the most “portable” and resilient to change schema, that is likely to be easy to distribute.
You can make changes locally offline, then just sync them to the server whenever an update is overdue, and things will always work online or offline, and be easy to backup.

2 Likes