I'm missing a button - Mark all as read

This isn’t about Discourse. I’ve had occasion several times over the years to contact you privately with concerns about your postings in the forum.

Right. Likely true. Though for reasons you would not know. I work teaching Advanced English to Italians and do use extensive caps for target words.

Nonsense. This is all about Discourse as it is happening here on it.
Only now is the saw point on my errant shouting chastised.

Regarding your putative calls on me previously: A private conflab is (if it ever existed) not to be recycled publicly. Get respectful already.

I’ve never seen a journalist, blogger or any other kind of writer capitalise words as in the example above. This doesn’t seem like a fruitful line of argument.

My clumsy point was that similar things have happened before Discourse, and hence I don’t think this is about Discourse. And you weren’t being chastised, I gently pointed out that the capitalisation of too many words makes it difficult for me to read your posts.

Apologies for being clumsy.

If I scroll down in the Latest-tab it shows a post from 14th of August, which probably is the first post from Boris. I think, it works as expected.

This isn’t a war: your style vs other style. It is about writing without be less ¿annoying? to the community. (I don’t know if this isthe best chosen word in english)

@TiddlyTweeter
I am so sorry, I ever saw this discussion. It started being about a missing Mark all as read button, and ended being all about the missing, invisible friendliness button we had in the GG.

Birthe

Nothing is spoiled. Look up, okay? Jeremy & I sometimes disagree but we respect each other.

I like him almost as much as Led Zeppelin.

1 Like

Purely from my own perspective, I have found the idea that CAPS is shouting rings true. So much so that I almost read it that way now. Don’t get me wrong sometimes there is something to shout about, times when extreme emphasis is warranted, whist remaining civil it sometimes (although rarely is needed). To me this is the “global” expectation CAPS = Shouting and thru that expectation it is thus. Keep in mind we are in such a deprived communication state when it comes to “textural communication’s”, compared to the of the in person and non-verbal side channels. So I do cling to a few standards.

On the other hand, art is so often about shouting look at Andy Warhol or the art work “piss Christ” or even Banksi’s self shredding art work.

Just remember the final judgement may be how hard it is on the ears or eyes.

So, I don’t want to hit Dismiss until I know what it does. What does it mean to Dismiss posts? Is it the same as marking read, or ??

Yes. There is an additional question, if you want to dismiss the threads and also “mute” them. … I personally only dismiss and let the “mute” checkbox alone.

So if I select “All unread”, then use the surprised hamburger on the left, select all, and then the dismiss button on the right , I’ve effectively marked all as read?

This thread is kinda drifting towards my interest :slight_smile:
Following your procedure: still (I think) leaves all those same items in “Latest” (i.e. the thread list in post-order) still marked as unread (i.e. not grayed).

TT,

Here I will be brief, please don’t consider it rude, just direct.

As I said, latest is the latest , not the latest for you. Unread is the latest unread for you. If you don’t want to know what the latest is, don’t look at it. Although it kindly indicates if you have read them or not.

In part latest is an infinite scroll so you see it like a history, apart from the DISMISS not able to be placed at the end of an infinite scroll Unread is your “remaining to be read list” and you can DISMISS the unread ones. If the latest was not there we would need a history tab, it doubles as both.

Keep in mind

• if you go to a category and mute that category they will not appear in latest.
  • If you go to a Topic and Mute it you never get it in unread or latest.
  • Except for rare cases notification is best set to “normal” or “Tracking” to get “the numbers of what you are ignoring” because you most likely to want to see something in which you are mentioned or directly replied to.

No problem. I like Australian brusqueness a lot.

My point, which is still not yet fully seen, is why if I “dismiss” under “New” or “Unread” that is NOT reflected under “Latest” ?

All I need is one list, “Latest” (aka all posts, latest first) and ability to mark everything in that stream as read.

THB I don’t need those. Merely to Mark All As Read in “Latest”. Simples

Dismiss them in the unread view?

1 Like

I’m at a disadvantage here. I don’t want to create a second account, but I also don’t want to mark everything as read. To me marking everything as read is an act of desperation. You lose valuable information. It’s something you would do only if you came back after being stranded on a tropical island being hunted by polar bears and had only one way to catch up. Maybe just stay inside the unread tab ?

That’s what I said :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Maybe I’m crazy, but is anyone else seeing this? I’m trying out using the “unread” view and maybe it doesn’t mean what I think it means…

This is what my latest view shows - clearly one with bold which means unread (I think)

This is what unread shows - it’s blank?

1 Like

Well. Horses for courses. We simply have different habits, or as Pierre Bourdieu would have opined, rituals.

Regarding the specific issue of “dismiss” on Discourse, I don’t see any benefit in preserving unread status in “Latest” if the end user marked all as read under “New”.

It should no longer be shown anywhere as >>“unread”<< (i.e. not gray)

Is that clearer?
TT

You are not crazy. You illustrate the issue well.