I'm missing a button - Mark all as read

I just did some more experiments, and if I select all the categories and put them all in Tracked (for example), then yes, you need to first remove them from that notification level with the “X”, before being able to select them in another notification level.

1 Like

Ok, that’s looking promising.

This might not be a problem for @TiddlyTweeter , since TT wants to mark almost everything as unread, but when I go to the Unread tab, it always shows the results in chronological order. Is there a way to automatically show them in reverse chronological order?

Thanks!

Click on the table headers – Replies / Views / Activity – to sort. Activity is “date of latest activity”.

I think I now concur on this point a bit. I just discovered that talk thinks I’m an unfriendly person because I hadn’t awarded any :heart: . I’ve awarded lots of other emoticons, and assumed it was counting them all the same. Nope. Has to be :heart: .

I’m old school. For me, :heart: is for special people on valentines day, not discussions in a public forum. But I guess it’s more like grade school where everyone had to get a valentine for everyone on valentine’s day :expressionless:

Right. But I have to do it every time I click on unread. I thought there might be a way to set the default sort, or, that it would remember my choice from now on.

Ok, I’ve done this. I’ve put everything into “Watched”. When I look at latest, this post:

Do you think of links as having ‘direction’?

shows as unread. I haven’t visited it. I don’t think so anyways. But when I go to unread and reverse sort, I can’t find it.

Default sort is newest first (which, according to my understood definition is “reverse chronological” going backwards through time to older dates).

If you flip to showing chronological / oldest, then you wouldn’t see stuff that has just been posted:

Except for me the default is oldest first:

@boris
Some good tips and tricks are given here! I think this post shall be polished or part of it selected for How to Work with Talk.
We are using it the same way we got used in GG! Talk has many features which need to be learnt!

1 Like

With all due respect to you all, I have absolutely no problems using discourse. This not to say I am a brainiac but something about the way I have learned it, perhaps my “attitude” to it, is why I am quickly mastering it.

I think the problem here is people are too smart. They are trying to customise before they understand how it works.

Discourse is a little smarter than us all and helps even totally new users to make their way and helps advanced users enormously. You can customise it to see everything that happens or nothing. So a new user may miss out on some obscure subject but I doubt they care. Discourse observes your use and activity and organises things according to that activity and interests expressed. Its an adaptive environment.

As you go about your activity look at your notifications, and the icon in front of them and when you are not happy, but may I suggest only get unhappy when something overwhelms you and is large in number. Try and work out how it came to notify you, normally this is for totally legitimate reasons.

Personally I think dismissing lists generated by an adaptive system only make sense in a case where you need to deal with a gross issue, these should be rare.

If for example you still use GG and don’t want to see them here its easy. If unsure I suggest using “normal notify” at the minimum so you are aware if someone replies to you or mentions you. Of course if you never reply in a topic the first will not occur.

Basically set up your preferences and live according to your notifications and occasionally browse the other areas out of interest.

:heart: Nutshell. Nailed.

1 Like

I don’t want software that’s smarter than me. I want software that’s useful.

And, it is unnecessarily opinionated:

I don’t need an AI bot preaching to me, thank you very much. The bot can’t understand the context, so it doesn’t know … anything. Yet there it is, sermonizing. Also, I can post a hundred posts, but that doesn’t prevent someone else from posting.

About a third of the time I spend texting is used to undo the auto-correct. Software is only smarter than people in some very slim sliver of reality. But sometimes you need the wide focus of an actual human.

What we’re trying to do, or at least I am, is see if there’s a way that the “smart” software can act a little more like GG, for those people who don’t want to adjust their attitude right now :smiley:

To me it seems very like any other threaded forum, with a few perks on the side. But others apparently don’t see it that way, so why not see if there’s anything we can do to fill the gap?

I am so glad you are doing all this work. Users finding it difficult, messy and time consuming are not helped by being told, that others find i easy, logic and wonderful. I would expect this problem to grow with the amount of users.

What everyone has in common is, that they know where the Log Out button is - fast and easy. I do not find that a good idea, but we have to realise, that that is also a choice.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, that has not been my experience in over four years helping run a Discourse forum.

I’ve honestly never seen a conversation/discussion like this one. I truly believe it’s because people are expecting something from Discourse that, either it wasn’t designed to deliver, or that their expectation is based “something else” (GG, for example, or a mailing list).

As I implied above in endorsing @TW_Tones post, I think people might by carrying the baggage of past experience while using Discourse. That’s not helping – that’s hindering you, in my view.

I meant to add, I DO agree with @Mark_S about the blue popup box that appears on the right. It’s very annoying.

However, that has little to do with grasping how Discourse manages your daily use of the service.

It’s demeaning, which interferes with the Discourse experience.

It was probably intended for social media, but a platform for discussing software has different requirements. In social media, you want like a dozen or more people expounding on global warming, or the benefits of raising bunnies in your bathroom. With software, the number of contributors is irrelevant.

It may be just a phase we’re going through. Maybe a year from now it won’t matter and everyone’s attitude will have adjusted. With that other forum, were they transferring from a lively, active existing forum with nothing fundamentally wrong? Or was it a new experience with nothing significant to compare it to?

The former, though the software was pretty simplistic in nature and didn’t allow (for example) easy drag-drop image posting, etc.

Agreed, though I choose not to take it personally :wink:

Listen, let me put it all like this…

If Discourse’s approach to discussions is impeding you, then by all means kick up a fuss. If there’s any part of you that thinks it might be you getting in your own way, then give the software a chance.

Honestly, GG always got in my way (why you see more of me here – less minutes spent at war in my head – ring a bell? :wink: )

I sincerely hope so.

So let me summarize what we have so far. You can get something like what TT wants by first going under your preferences → notifications → categories.

Add all categories that you’re interested in (which will probably be all) to the first item at the top, “Watched”.

Save your changes.

Now when you want to see your “unread”, go to the “unread” tab at the top. You may need to change the “Activity” sort order if you have a lot of “unread” posts.

When you want to mark everything as read, click on the surprised hamburger “topics” at the left of the posts.

Select “Select all”.

Then click on “Dismiss…” over on the right hand side.

There will be a dialog making sure this is what you want to do. Inside that dialog select “Stop tracking…” .

3 Likes

Wow. I had to make do with the heart emoji - it really should have been a superhero.

Now with this clear description, we have a starting point.

1 Like

If you select “stop tracking these topics”, then if there are replies in those topics, they won’t show up in unread. Which may or may not be what you want to do.