How to use a filter instead of tag as the input for TWOutlier macro

@Mark_S I have started to use Outlier macro created by you recently as mentioned in this post. Is there a way to use a filter like [fieldname[filedvalue]] as the input for this macro instead of using tags.

As seen in this google group discussion, can a filter be defined using set widget and then used as the filter input instead of the tag input

Can you make the outlier available in an online wiki?

But this also depends on how your data is structured, the advantage of the TOC method is the same filter is needed for all levels. So if you change the filter it needs to be valid within tiddlers within tiddlers.

• As long as you are using the TOC macros I think you must use tags.
  • We can write a rercursive process to replace the tag / toc method.

Many of my notes have metadata added in field values. So I was planning of using filters (based on filed values) to get those related tiddlers in the outlier UI.
What I was asking might be difficult to achieve I guess. May be I will try to use tags instead

See if you can give us a minimal example of the different ways your data is arranged and I am sure we can help. You can almost do the same thing with fields as tags, after all, tags are just another field.

I will have to think a little about how I want to go about it. Also I saw pmario’s tocP — Parent based - Table of Content in another post today. I have to read its code so that I may get some ideas from it. Will post here after I have some concrete ideas. Thanks you @TW_Tones

tocP was derived from an earlier version of the default TOC macros, but instead of using the tags field is uses custom fields that only contain 1 “link” to a “parent” tiddler. I did not change the “tags” variable name and there will be a lot of $xx$ text substitutions, which should be avoided these days.

I’ll have to modernize the code. So using it as a base for your own macros is not really recommended.

You can use and modify it, but you should know, that the code base is not up to date atm.

Thanks @pmario. I will remember your advice when I go through it. Due to time constraints, I don’t know when will I be able to do it.

1 Like