How to create the functionality "focus/select" tiddler on mouse hover?

Greetings to the TW Community

There’s this plugin called Multi-Column Layout/Storyview created by @BurningTreeC. In that plugin, you can edit a selected/focused tiddler using alt-e; to select or change the focus to another tiddler you need to press other keyboard shortcuts. So my question is this: is it possible to simplify switching of focus/selection by just using the mouse pointer, i.e. change the focus/selection by just hovering your mouse pointer to it? With that, editing tiddlers becomes slick and fast.

I created this topic independently and not as a reply to the Multi-column plugin discussion page because It feels like this feature is independent from the said plugin and could (and maybe should) be added to the vanilla tiddly wiki. Also, a lot of beginning users like me could benefit from it.

@Sparrow I have gone a long way if not further with concept as demonstrated here https://focus-tiddler.tiddlyhost.com/

• I am open to feed back, and could do a video to demonstrate.

@Sparrow perhaps this history approach will suit you instead?

@Scott_Sauyet

I do have additional history tools, I can share with you. It is marginally off topic but so too is my focused-tiddler solution discussed here How to create the functionality "focus/select" tiddler on mouse hover? and demod here https://focus-tiddler.tiddlyhost.com/.

• There is a button to return to the last focused tiddler even if closed.

Here is a somewhat complete history tool without its features documented
history-sidebar.json (3.0 KB)

• See the history sidebar tab
  • It intentionally does not save the history between sessions
  • See open tiddlers and close them in the history (Can replace the Open tab)
  • See a change count on those in the history
  • Warn about draft tiddlers

I’m still a newbie and may not be qualified to give a solid opinion of your work. Nevertheless, I am glad to be of service.

It’s good to know that you’ve explored the concept about focused tiddlers deeply. While I don’t have a particular situation that would justify its total use, there are some features that I do like, and, in my humble opinion, may potentially merit to be their own independent ‘plugin’/feature. These are:

1. Field preview on the sidebar - this can be useful for people that needs to look at the metadata of their tiddler quickly.

2. Knowing the recent and currently opened tiddlers - I think this can be simplified into recently opened tiddlers? more of like history of opened tiddlers and not the history of modified/created tiddlers?

3. Pinning opened tiddlers to the top of the page. In your work, it is the feature: On any red focus target icon, use alt-click to pin one tiddler at a time at the top of the story (above story) ← I can’t get this to work though but the idea is still useful.

1 Like

Agreed, in fact this was only an example, as you can see above the tabs it indicates the currently focused tiddler, if you look inside the Focused sidebar tiddler that show the fields here $:/PSaT/focus-tiddler/sidebar you can see what it is doing.

the history sidebar tab does this but includes the edited tiddlers, because to edit is to open, is to end up in the history.

Sorry, that was an update I completed in the design wiki, I have updated it in the demo. Have another try.

Thanks @Sparrow for your feedback

Post script, “I’m still a newbie” is your qualification, if you can use and understand.

see TiddlyTools/History, TiddlyTools/History/Next, and TiddlyTools/History/Previous

see TiddlyTools/Templates/Pin

1 Like

@Sparrow This keyboard-navigation-plugin has such functionality - Demo of tw5-keyboard-navigation — Navigate through your TiddlyWiki using only your keyboard - left-click a tiddler to make it active. This was the feature request made in github.
@BurningTreeC Since MCL has it’s own navigation mechanism, it won’t be possible to use this plug in with MCL easily I guess. May be you can adapt this feature into MCL ?

1 Like

Yes, adding the feature “focus to tiddler on mouse click” would be awesome as well.