Help - with basic $checkbox options

Not at all and I will give you a better description soon. Hopefully I will have an easy way for you to implement the preferred method.

Have you a working system now?

So how are you setting the ToDo tag in the first place, or how would you like to?

Apart from my offline wiki (my preferred way) Iā€™ve now got 2 tiddlyhost wikis :slight_smile: ā€” but sadly I have neither your example, or FRedā€™s working properly, yet.

Iā€™m adding the ToDO tag as needed, to mark tiddlers that I want to complete.

Iā€™ll let you know when Iā€™ve posted up the mess Iā€™ve made on TiddlyHost (in about 4 hours time) ā€” right now thereā€™s a snake in the house and dogs going ballistic. I did post my ā€œdraftā€ TW beginnerā€™s tutorial Iā€™ve been writing, not finished yet. The blind leadingā€¦ etc. ludicrous I know, but it helps me learn.

It can be important to hear ā€œWords out of the mouths of (TiddlyWiki) babesā€, it is so hard for us crusty decade plus users, to have your experience, even guess, ever again.

My test tiddlers are up - and looking very messy.
https://playground-testing.tiddlyhost.com/

@TW_Tones ā€” the wiki name is quite coincidental. Iā€™ve since discovered you have something similar.

@Anakowi , I havenā€™t gotten a chance to read through everything yet, but wanted to mention one thing I noticed on your playground wiki - you are using

$:/tags/Macro;

as the tag in your macro, but it should beā€¦

$:/tags/Macro

(Without a semicolon)

@Tiddlybob ā€” Thanks ā€” that should make a big difference. Iā€™ll have another crack at it later this evening (Australian time).

I couldnā€™t find the macro tag that I made, but eventually clicked on the tag to edit the ā€œmissingā€ tiddler $:tags/Macro ā€” removing the semi-colon.
Thingā€™s are still not working.

Thank you all for your time. Iā€™m very close to ready to give up. Iā€™ll give obsidian a test run, but Iā€™m happy enough to keep using TW5 at my level of understanding, in the way I have it configured, itā€™ll be ok for what I need (for now).

Remove that tag and add $:/tags/Macro

If you install this system-tags-more.json (6.8 KB) the go to the SideBar > more > SysTags you can see all System tags even if not in use and copy them to the clipboard.

• Search for a given system tag on TiddlyWiki.com for more documentation
  • This SysTags Addon allows you to click on the tag pill and see what tiddlers are so tagged and a count is on the right.

Not all system tags may be listed if anyone sees any missing please let me know.

Iā€™m not sure where youā€™re getting stuck specifically, but @tw-FRedā€™s solution seems to address your stated tag-toggling needs.

Looking at your test tiddler here, the problem you were having with the ā€œRepairs Completeā€ list just comes down to a missing angle-bracket to close your $checkbox widget. Iā€™ve posted the working code below:

<$list filter="[!has[draft.of]tag[repaired]sort[created]]">

<$checkbox
  tag="repaired"
  checkactions="""<$action-listops $tags="-REPAIR"/>"""
  uncheckactions="""<$action-listops $tags="REPAIR"/>"""
>
<$link to={{!!title}}>
             <$view field='title'/>
</$link>
</$checkbox>
</$list>

That angle bracket before <$link to={{!!title}}> was the one you were missing. Since the parser didnā€™t find a closing bracket where it expected it, it seems to have treated the /> of <$view field='title'/> as the end of a self-closing <$checkbox/>, which was what resulted in the stray tag displaying.

Triple quotes are just an alternate way to demarcate a value, similar to single quotes or double quotes. The main advantage of """ over ' or " is that it can enclose a value that already includes single and/or double quotes - so in this case, Fred used standard double quotes for the values of the $action-listops widget parameters, and triple quotes to indicate that the entire action widget should be treated as the value of checkactions.

If youā€™re still having issues, please post them here and we can continue to troubleshoot.

ETA: I notice youā€™re using <$link/> in one place and <$link to={{!!title}}><$view field='title'/></$link> in the other. These are functionally identical, so youā€™re safe to use the shorter form in all cases, unless you want to specify a different fieldā€™s content for the link text - <$link to={{!!title}}><$view field='caption'/></$link>, for instance.

2 Likes

@etardiff - Thanks for finding my missing bracket.

Yep, I was testing to see if that was causing the display of spillover ā€œtextā€ from the macro example (shows up on any tiddler with a checkbox).

Initially I used TW-FRedā€™s solution, both check/uncheck actions, only in the 2nd list. It didnā€™t work properly. Then I put ā€œcheckactionsā€ in the first list, and this removes the REPAIR tag. Perfect. Then realised I only need the ā€œuncheckā€ action in the 2nd list. Iā€™m learning!