Getting Tiddler field isn't working

I need some help.

Why does this:

* Our list of [[URL redirects]]. [[URL redirects]get[created]format:date[]]

yield this:

* Our list of URL redirects. URL redirects]get[created]format:date[

Picture from editor included so you can see what I’m entering on the left and the preview of it on the right. (Note that “URL redirects” exists and is not italicized in the first instance.)

That second thing looks like a filter.

It should be within triple brackets:

{{{ [[URL redirects]get[created]format:date[]] }}}

Then, if you want it showing as just plain text:

<$text text={{{ [[URL redirects]get[created]format:date[]] }}} />

Thank you so much.

This page didn’t mention the triple-curly-braces, so I didn’t know.

https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/#format%20Operator

But you are definitely on the right path to figuring it all out: i.e. rolling up your sleeves and jumping right in.

Good on ya !

Read up on “Filtered Transclusion” here: https://tiddlywiki.com/#Transclusion%20in%20WikiText

I’m thinking it would be a good idea for that format operator page to refer to the transclusion page you linked.

The thing is, those “triple curly braces” – really called filtered transclusion – are not specific for the “format operator” but that is a general method to evaluate a filter. BUT it is by no means the only way, i.e filters such as yours is also what appears in any widget that has a filter= attribute. It can also be the argument in a macro, depending on how the macro is implemented. So it would be somewhat “wrong” to say it should be used in filtered transclusions.

There is a ton of wisdom in that suggestion. All kinds of cross-referencing would be a good thing.

1 Like

I often find it helpful to follow the tag structure upwards to learn more about specific topics. It’s like going back to the beginning of a chapter of a (science) book that you opened right in the middle.
Starting at format Operator, you’d go up to Filter Operators and from there to Filters. That is a pretty good starting point to learn all about filters.
Have a nice day
Yaisog

1 Like

I did create a documentation contribution which isn’t activated at the time I write this post.

It tries to improve the situation in general. It links to the “Filters” tiddler from every Operator now.

The Filters tiddler should look as follows in the future. I should be more interactive and contain more relevant links now.

Edit: It has been activated 5 min after I finished the post :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I guess I need a bit more help. I don’t want these dates to be links. I just want to display them.

* Our list of [[URL redirects]].
**Created: {{{ [[URL redirects]get[created]format:date[YYYY-0MM-0DD]] }}} and modified: {{{ [[URL redirects]get[modified]format:date[YYYY-0MM-0DD]] }}}

Use the <$text> widget, like this:

<$text text={{{ [[URL redirects]get[created]format:date[YYYY-0MM-0DD]] }}}/>
and
<$text text={{{ [[URL redirects]get[modified]format:date[YYYY-0MM-0DD]] }}}/>

enjoy,
-e

Thanks! Works a treat!

Just an observation: It looks weird when the solution doesn’t match the problem in the original post.

Eric’s suggestion works best for what I was doing. Is it because I didn’t mention I didn’t want it linked? In my original post, I didn’t mention that I wanted to linkify or not-linkify them, so I didn’t feel Eric’s suggestion was disqualified from being marked as a solution.

Do you feel I was wrong to choose Eric’s reply as the solution?

Oh, it doesn’t matter much. It just looks a little weird that in my first reply to your original post, I mentioned using the text widget, without any special date formatting as per your original post.

But then later, the same text widget is offered as a solution, but with special date formatting that wasn’t in the original post.

So I’m looking at the original post, and the solution in the original post doesn’t match the original post.

Which all had me confused wondering what was incorrect with my solution for the original problem.

Don’t mind me. I have a couple of cognitive disabilities going on, and get easily confused when things don’t match. No worries. Nothing to do.

Oh, wow. I somehow skipped right over your text widget solution (and I already knew the format codes, so that wouldn’t have been a problem for me to incorporate).

My sincerest apologies, Charlie.

Pff, don’t worry about it.

Me getting into paralysis by analysis (or analysis by paralysis) dysfunction because the puzzle pieces don’t seem to match up, there’s no way normal folk can keep up.