FeatherWiki: A lightweight tiddlywiki alternative (63 kilobytes)

No search???

2 Likes

Buggy. I only had to make one page with no contents. After that I couldn’t save any page or navigate back to other pages or do anything at all. This was with “chickadee” version. Maybe there was corruption during download (there was difficulty downloading).

Edit: Putting in a long image pushes the “Edit” button offscreen. The entire display area is not bounded by the dimensions of the physical screen.

Edit 2: Markdown sentences that start with asterisks ** are run together with prior sentences even if there are blank lines in between. Need to use underlines __ . So markdown seems slightly off.

1 Like

Way back when, I had talked about wanting a lightweight version of TiddlyWiki that was just a tiddler editor.

Something like FeatherWiki is exactly what I would like as a TiddlyWiki sidekick. A version of this that uses TiddlyWiki syntax for formatting, and allows dragging Tiddlers from this tiny sidekick to a full-fledged TiddlyWiki.

So if somebody has the chops to create FeatherWiki-like TiddlyWiki alternatives, that would be frigging awesome.

1 Like

Interoperation between tools is cool. In case it’s useful, I wrote up some docs a few months ago for how to drag tiddlers from a non-TiddlyWiki web page across to a TiddlyWiki instance:

https://tiddlywiki.com/dev/#TiddlyWiki%20Drag%20and%20Drop%20Interoperability

6 Likes

Yup, Feather Wiki as my TiddlyWiki sidekick looks promising.

No need for anybody to build a FeatherWiki-like version of TiddlyWiki.

I just need to create a cleanup mechanism to get rid of the incoming “fat”.

2 Likes

The idea of building a TiddlyWiki style app from off the shelf components is really interesting I think. For Feather Wiki, a lot of the functionality is handled by its three dependencies, the pell (wysiwyg) , snarkdown (markdown), and choo (app framework) npm packages.

Ps, I’m pleased to announce there is now support for Feather Wiki on https://tiddlyhost.com/ . If you click “Show advanced settings” when creating a site you’ll see Feather Wiki as an option. If you’re interested in using Feather Wiki on Tiddlyhost please give it try there and report any bugs you find.

1 Like

Maybe somebody with real experience can chime in. Not just technical know-how, but proper terminology.

I’m thinking WYSIWYG and simultaneous widget-rendering/filtering/transclusions would never play nice together.

Then again, if the WYSIWYG editor ignored things like widget-rendering/filtering/transclusions ???

All of that aside, I would love official WYSIWYG in TiddlyWiki. I have a hard time dealing with markup/wikitext in one panel and rendering in a side panel. (One of the reasons I find Google Groups cognitively easier to work with: WYSIWYG. All the warts being the side cost …)

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking. It would be unreasonable to ask for widgets and WYSIWIG in the same tiddler.

That was the gist of the idea behind the typewriter demo I posted some time ago: https://groups.google.com/g/tiddlywiki/c/qmIgTgn6nOc/m/GNhZMRHbAAAJ

It did not get much community buy in or interest, therefore further development has been private and for a small target audience that has been happily using it on a near daily basis for well over a year.

Even the challenge of widgets, macros and transclusions is surmountable given the necessary resources to support the work. @linonetwo is doing great work in this area, though the reactjs dependency is unfortunate.

1 Like

Really, all it’s importing is the html of the rendered text. Which can be very messy to clean up and difficult to edit without WYSIWIG.

A different approach is to use an extension like “copycat” that can copy selected text as markdown. Then you can paste either directly or into a new tiddler, change the type to markdown (with the official md plugin), and you’ll have your contents as easy-to-edit MD, rather than HTML. The steps involved aren’t any more than the steps in the video clip.

1 Like

It looked like it might be a fun alternative to TW. But it’s really too fragile. Second day, broke it just by using it. I think it starts when you attempt to save an empty topic. Why can’t you save an empty topic? I don’t like it when an app makes me memorize rules to prevent serious bugs.

I agree. It ain’t intuitive because it’s basics are off kilter. Nice idea. Poor reality. FALTERS too much.

Just saying. TT.

Remember that it was released a week ago.

You are right! And glad you assist It.

That is absolutely possible, Obsidian can do that, and I find there can be improment to the ob’s way, so I design it in How to deal with wikitext like widget, macro in WYSIWYG editor?

And my part-time dev time is limited, so I choose to write it based on reactjs, which makes it impossible to be lightweight, @saqimtiaz but I think it is OK, because I use my 100MB TidGi desktop app everyday…Size is not the case on a desktop app.

And when publishing my wiki to github pages blog platform, I will automatically remove all unnecessary plugins, makes my blog lightweight enough for my readers.

This is how I make my wiki powerful on local, and relatively lightweight when online.

1 Like

I completely understand and your approach makes sense.

More than the size I have concerns about how well and how cleanly React will integrate into TW in the long term. However, the work you are doing at the moment is invaluable and it can always inform a potential future version without the React dependency.

The only real barrier to implementing a native WYSIWYG in TiddlyWiki has been a scarcity of time and resources.

3 Likes

FYI for those interested in having a suite of tools in their arsenals.

https://feather.wiki/

Very early and basic mechanism for transclusion recently added.

The latest versions of FeatherWiki (1.3.1 versions of Dove, Finch, and Chickadee) allow install of the “Transclusion / Page Insert” extension.

Although it currently only handles one-level-deep transclusion (I’m imagining a recursive transclusion process will happen someday), even just one-level of transclusion is handy to have in a TiddlyWiki sidekick tool for quick/light/agile note-taking on the side.

All things considered, this is very impressive for something so new. it certainly has a ways to go in development, but with a massive resource to learn from such as TW, I think it could become it’s own SPI in no time!

Personally, I share the same sentiment as jonnie45 in that I’m also heavily invested in TW, and all it’s associated resources, but I would still like to keep tabs on FeatherWiki, maybe there is something for us to learn from it’s growth (hatching?)

As far as having a WYSIWYG editor in TW, I always wondered if this could be achieved by having the text placed and rendered in a temp tiddler, and when changes are saved, have the text moved to the finished tiddler, however I’m not going to pretend I have anywhere near the necessary level of know-how to know if that would work, but since we’re on the topic, spit-balling ideas on how it could be done effectively couldn’t hurt!

Food for thought – JMH

Absolutely nothing wrong with that regardless of what it means, including “I use TiddlyWiki for all tasks no matter what they are.” That’s totally reasonable.

I’m a multi-tool user: some things in TiddlyWiki, some things in Google Calendar, some things done with Treesheets, some in Google Sites, ad infinitum ad nauseum.

Because of Feather.wiki’s lightness, my happy use case for it: it is my on startup “home/portal” page for my web browser, giving me quick access to an organized bookmarks page and portal to some of the things I like to have handy, like an embedded view of my Google calendar. And ridiculously convenient to edit.

My other purpose for Feather.Wiki is quick no fuss no muss note-taking when I don’t have any time for serious intertwingularity mapping at the moment. Intertwingularity mapping, serious information slicing and dicing, is for later in TiddlyWiki. Nothing handles intertwingularity mapping like TiddlyWiki.

I can see that as a good use-case, similar to the appeal of a plaintext note for jotting something down quickly, but with some extra utility on top.

I use my TW primarily as just a all purpose journal, some basic keybinds allow me to quickly note things without having to bother with sorting or modifying tiddlers past just clicking a button. I’m quite lazy, you see haha

and I’m not sure why or how it came into my mind, but I’m a bit curious now if it were possible to use TW to create a Feather.Wiki, considering how small it is, and how TW has been used to create some really remarkable things.

Feather.wiki could absolutely fill that niche desire for a minimalist’s wiki notebook, maybe better than TW since it’s more geared for tinkering and building upon it as a foundation, and as a result has a bit of a learning curve to it.

I’d be interested to see how it develops, and what changes are made over time. Fingers crossed it gets the support and love TW has over it’s many years!