Error starting nw

Hi, I use UBUNTU 22.04 incl. all updates. I installed TiddlyDesktop-linux64-v0.0.15-prerelease.4
the nw executable shows rwxrwxrwx. Starting with ./nw shows me the following error message:

libva error: vaGetDriverNameByIndex() failed with unknown libva error, driver_name = (null)

Any idea what went wrong and how to fix ist ?

Many, thanks in advance for your help and support.

Regards, Bapak Ireng

Welcome to the forum, Bapak Ireng!

You’re the second person to suggest there may be problems with TD on Ubuntu 22.

I use TD v14 on xUbuntu 18. Do you really need the pre-release? Maybe vsn 14 would work for you also?

A new user has recently submitted TWPY as an alternative to TD. You might want to take a look at that (see TWPY - A super minimal, lightweight, efficient TiddlyWiki editor in Python (looking for testers/feedback)).

Ok, at least I am not the only one experiencing this problem…

Where I am able to download Tiddly Desktop 14 ??

I installed TiddlyDesktop-linux64-v0.0.14 and received the following error message:

[5254:5254:1101/181041.845850:ERROR:edid_parser.cc(102)] Too short EDID data: manufacturer id

I know get really p…

Better i dump the whole subject of using Tiddlywiki.Thius will be less headache.

best reagrds, Bapak ireng

This is a clipping from the process list: /TiddyWiki5/TiddlyDesktop-linux64-v0.0.14/nw

Apparently nw is running…

I still do not get the TiddlyDesktop to work and to funtioning…

latest:

Danke Dir…(Thank you)…

I’m guessing that Ubuntu 20.04 added new security features that break TD. Hopefully they will be reported and fixed.

But there are many ways to use tiddlywiki, and tiddlydesktop is just one of them. Did you try TWPY? It was developed by a new user who had your same problem on your exact version of Ubuntu. Since it uses python, which is on every linux machine, it should work for you.

You can also serve up TiddlyWiki files with rclone. I start it from the command line like:

./rclone serve webdav ~/data/Wikis --addr :8080 --vfs-cache-mode full

Then everything inside the Wikis folder becomes available at http://127.0.0.1:8080

And a very common, choice is using timimi. Though I don’t know if it has any problems with ubuntu 20.04.

1 Like

Mit Timimi gibt es Probleme wenn FF als Snap Version ausgeführt wird. Der Entwickler hat sich noch nicht um eine Lösung gekümmert. Danke.

Do you have chrome/chromium ?

Yes, i can install…
chrome

Also remember tiddlyhost.com is a great way to create tiddlywiki’s online and accessible via most browsers. I suppose it can all depend on your long term goals but don’t give up due to your current experience, it is uncommon.

Chromiim Browswr nur als Snap Paket in 22.04 verfügbar…erwarte die gleichen Probleme wow bei FF…

Ich verstehe nicht, warum laufende Software immer so verkompliziert wird…umd das ganz ohne Notwendigkeit…

Well, it’s SNAP that’s making things complicated. Could you install chromium using the standard distribution package? That’s what I do, and I’ve never had problems. There’s also TWPY mentioned above from someone using a setup similar to yours.

And, since you have Chromium installed, you might look at the TW5-browser-nativesaver . It is a plugin that allows your TiddlyWiki file to save itself to a local, designated location on the hard drive.

Hi, checked the standard distribution repro— it only offers the snap package…no other version available

UBUNTU is NOT a free system…it is getting worse and more restricted then Windows

I installed chrome from google website and installed it…still cannot save the Tiddlywiki…

I will abandon this project…too many headaches for a simple action - save the tiddler. Bye, bye.

Bye, but remember as I said,

Thank you for your kind suggestiion. I do not want to do anything online.