[Discussion] It's all about titles drag and drop to set config and lists

Folks,

You may have noticed with TiddlyWiki, It’s all about titles.

I have a tool to drag and drop titles on tiddlers to tag them with that title and it is proving very useful, as, for example; I can drag/drop a title from a TOC, onto any tiddler (tags field) to tag it, ie place the target tiddler in the TOC.

• I have not published this yet because I want to “live with it for a while”.

I noticed, if I am about to manually add half a dozen tiddlers, that all need the same tag, that it would be easier to set the “Default new tiddler tag(s)” so clicking new tiddler, would create it with the default tags.

• The new tiddler button uses these tags, currently the new “markdown tiddler” does not.
  • Control Panel > Info > Basics > Tags for new tiddlers in $:/config/NewTiddler/Tags

As a result I realised this;

We could have an easy mechanism to update a list or tiddler using a simple title drag and drop!

There are a number of settings that require a tiddler title as its value, so we could have an easy mechanism to do this, in the interface.

• To support this we could allow managing a list (add/change/delete members), this is similar to the current tags mechanism or the ability to remove an item using the tag pill dropdown and others when not tags.
  • Restoring it to the previous value(s) or have a history kept, so its easy to restore a previous value.
  • Set value using a quick search mechanism like the Editor toolbar link icon.

Of course if this is about adding a title to a field, or list field on a tiddler, you would drop it somewhere on the target tiddler.

However to add or remove titles from a global list or config tiddler we need the interface to be “off tiddler”, or using a custom tiddler. Its not practical to use the sidebar, because that is possibly where you want to drag the title from.

• I am thinking something above the story $:/tags/AboveStory you can open to see the various global lists or config items on which you can drop a title, such as the aforementioned default tags, the default tiddlers etc… but perhaps you have a better idea?

Your thoughts and Ideas welcome!

I will update this reply with possible settings.

Other fields or settings we may want to drop titles on;

Tiddler based

• list-before / list-after
  • related-tiddler-list
  • Drop title on tags field
  • drop system tag tiddlers on tags field.
  • Append title/link to text
  • Append text of dragged tiddler to text
    • For quick assembly of text from tiddlers in TOC eg; form letters.

Wiki based,

• New tiddler tags
  • New markdown tiddler tags
  • Default tiddlers
  • New Journal Tags

Using a tool I built I find it easy to add tiddlers to a Table of Contents by dragging a title from the TOC and dropping it on a modified tags bar in the view template. This is proving very powerful and easy to use.

However when a TOC is multiple levels deep it is up to the user to navigate their way around the TOC to find appropriate titles with which to tag a new tiddler.

As a result I will raise a new discussion seeking feedback and provide the link here shortly, to do with suggesting tags on new tiddlers. Suggesting tags for new content