Demystifying New Features

Most software, tools out there have newsletter, blog, etc demonstrating new features through examples! Talk Tiddlywiki allows us to create wiki post, so it is possible to have input/collaboration from other!
So I will start a series of wiki posts named: Demystifying New Features in TW Release 5.2.0 and I kindly invite all interested people to help! I am sure we can learn a lot form these wiki posts!

Please share idea, opinion for this proposal here!

7 Likes

@Mohammad - great idea!

I don’t know that you’re asking for suggested topics, but after reading through the official list, the 2 that I most don’t understand myself (and find interesting) are the 4th and 5th ones in the “Hackability Improvements”

Other than that, happy to jump in as available and add examples etc.

@stobot - thank you!
I asked for help to write a demystifying post! but your questions also welcome and I hope super users/developers help and answer your questions!

Some very terse documentation here.

https://tiddlywiki.com/#Hidden%20Setting%3A%20HTML%20Parser%20Sandbox

It would be nice to see an example of how you would use this.

Throttling

Here’s my understanding, which may be wrong.

If you’re a touch typist you may have encountered problems when entering text into TW. You have to wait for keystrokes to be absorbed. The typing timeout setting allows you to extend the refresh time, so you’re keystrokes aren’t as interrupted as often. But it doesn’t do anything for tiddlers that you’re not editing, such as tiddlers that have input fields, widgets, etc. If you add the field throttle.refresh to your tiddler, then the throttling threshold will apply to that tiddler as well. This new change extends the principle so that it also applies to tiddlers with the prefix $:/temp/volatile/ .

https://tiddlywiki.com/#RefreshThrottling

1 Like

Very cool, thanks @Mark_S !

Ideally this post by Mark would get posted as a new thread, with something like “5.2.x New Feature: Throttling” as the title, and we could tag it with 5.2.

Is that what you have in mind @Mohammad?

@Mohammad I also tried to start something similar over here TiddlyWiki 5.2.0 prerelease discussion I already curated a set of features I considered useful. It is somewhat superseded by the release of 5.2.0 however the content is the same. Please feel free to harvest what you want.

@boris - yes

Exactly! As you proposed it is good to use 5.2.0 tag. As I proposed the title of post in this series shall follow the same rule e.g. 5.2.0 New Feature: ..... or what I proposed

Thank you @TW_Tones. Sure I will do. I appreciate your help and talent to contribute here too.