Curating or flagging threads

Trying to understand syntax

This is just a side comment. I thought this thread brilliant at illuminating syntax practically.

How would I flag (cc: @boris ) this thread (not individual posts) “exceptionally useful” learning steps?

Side note
TT

For starters — start a new thread asking the question so it doesn’t clutter the thread.

I’ve gone ahead and split it into a new thread in #meta

You can click the reply arrow and create a reply as a linked topic:

1. You could edit the top post to add some tags. “Useful” or “learning”.

2. You could bookmark it, which is private to you.

3. You could create a new post, perhaps called “Syntax Learning Resources” in #tips-and-tricks, and transclude useful links over time.

Useful comment one:

Stunning example two:

1. You could turn it into #projects:documentation as examples in the core TW docs.

Hope that helps with some examples. None are right or wrong. Other than: new topics please!

1 Like

Thanks @boris you think it worthy of it’s own thread.

(Partly I’m still trying to get to grips with Discourse badges / statuses things.)

But, I think I’m on firm ground that, occasionally, threads arise that are themselves a lesson in TiddlyWiki(ese). This is one of them.

So, how would I flag that thread special such that users can find it later as a resource?

Best, TT

Thanks for calling this out, TT. I’m very much in agreement. Threads have a way of losing themselves like old magazines. Bookmarks help, but yes, curation backed up with search is better (my bookmarks on another Discourse group are overwhelming me).

[Sidewise: To be a literalist for a minute, I once was given 20 years worth of the Sunday Times Supplement Magazine. I ended up throwing them in a skip. Too much to cope with.]

Regarding the OP, my point was being able to flag a thread so it is clear it is special (I guess that is a kind of “curation”?) @boris suggests other ways that involve work that seem to me refractory to the core issue of the OP.

All I wonder is if I can prominently badge a thread as special?

Basta
TT

On the contrary, I’m saying – please don’t clutter threads with off topic, and DO split it off to ask great questions like you are!

I agree with you on “finding the good stuff”. There is no “flagging”, but various methods as I described.

I’ve gone back and numbered them 1,2,3,4 so it is more clear what methods one might use.

1 Like

Just being hypercritical here…

Tags are not obvious enough. Maybe because I’m inattentive, I barely notice them. I use them and add them, but rarely read them.

None of which address TT’s concern.

I’m often in awe of a thread and wish there was a way to mark the whole damn thing as fab.

Right!

Occasionally here there are stellar threads that are learning tutorials from sheer brilliance.

As far as I can see there is currently NO method in Discourse to flag such threads as exceptionally special.

Of course I don’t expect @boris to solve this issue.
But better to know what the limits are than not.

To restate the issue: How could I flag a thread prominently?
It seems the answer is “you can’t”.

Yes?
TT

“Flag” for what purpose? Yourself? Others? Google searches for optimized SEO so anyone on the internet can find it?

For yourself, you could bookmark or you could pick one of the reactji that you use to mean awesome post. Both are then available and browsable in your user account.

Curate them into a moderated “good stuff” category? Arguably Tips & Tricks although one could make an “only great stuff” category too.

Or, a “TTs Great Posts” post, that you edit over time.

Lots of things can be done. It’s not one thing, it’s consistent work over time, and more like a process to define has been my experience.

Honestly, I don’t know what’s so hard to understand.

One more try and then I’ll drop it.

Please Boris, let me and everyone else :heart: :trophy: :medal_sports: :dart: a “THREAD not a post

That would lose the immediacy – the farther away from “the point” you travel, the “colder” the context and point becomes.

Visually, thread likes (because they appear at the bottom) should be bigger, too:

:heart:
:trophy:
:medal_sports:
:dart:

A gentle reminder that @boris kindly acts as a volunteer to administer our Discourse instance. It’s reasonable to ask him or other admins to make changes to the configuration of the system, but please remember that nobody here is a Discourse developer, and we’re not in a position to modify the code. We’re stuck with the same functionality as everyone else who uses Discourse.

1 Like

I’m not trying to be obtuse — I’m literally trying to figure out what the use case is.

If the question is — can we have different reactji — sure! Looks like @pmario or someone else added an award to the list of options.

It sounded like “it would be great to highlight good stuff — how do we do that?” — and that’s how I attempted to answer the question.

We’d be happy to have custom CSS for Discourse to make those reactji bigger if someone wants to take this on. This is a CSS only way to add to Discourse.

1 Like

Actually, no. Boris’ setup is far better than the Discourses I’ve used elsewhere – I can only imagine he’s added more addons than the regular OOTB solution provides.

@boris is there a sandbox you can give me access to?

I kinda understand that actually, and certainly know I should not subject @boris to over exposure. It is nothing personal. He is a good guy.

My OP was simply about IF I can flag a thread as excellent or not in a prominent way.

[This is about advancing TW for betterment.]

SO, I think my question is valid. And to reply “you can’t do that here” would answer it.

Is that the answer?

Yes?

Best wishes, TT

The bookmarking ability is pretty extensive. You can add your own label for future searches. Or make it a reminder if you want to think about Mark’s awesome post 2 weeks from now. Bookmark the top post if you want to highlight the entire thread.

The only thing is, I wish there was some way to get rid of the small gray on white text in the bookmark display. Actually, for the user label, I’d like it to be in solid red.

The problem with reactij (til: Reactij ) , is that you’re only allowed to add one. And it’s public. So you would be forced to choose between a public-facing use ( :heart: ) and a private use (:rage: ).

Right. That is personal though.

What I intended in the OP was to promote Publicly Visible upmarks to threads.

I thought the thread Trying to understand syntax outstanding as a good tutorial I wanted to flag (not posts, the thread as a whole).

My query was HOW to flag such a thread prominently–publicly?

Nothing more
TT

TLDR;

I did spend close to an hour, to search and read stuff about a possibility to “mark” threads. The only thing I found was a possibility that is “prone for misuse” and has the potential to make our live as moderators harder and I think, it will not make the “discoverability” of marked threads easier or better.

My proposal is

We should improve the documentation, where the “Source of Truth” is. At tiddlywiki.com so it won’t “fade out of view”

From my point of view the Trying to understand syntax thread is a “question and answer” thread.

• It’s a thread, where a new user tries to understand TWs functionality and asks
  • Community members try to answer the questions
  • Which in return “triggers” new questions.

That’s good.

IMO that’s what the forum is about. In the end the new user got the problem solved.

Near the bottom of the thread there is some feedback that it could have been easier. … I think we know that.

My proposal is

We should improve the documentation, where the “Source of Truth” is. At tiddlywiki.com so it won’t “fade out of view”

There are dedicated threads that ask for help to improve the docs, where it should be.

1. Request for Help: Documentation/Demo/Working Examples
  2. Documentation tiddlers on TiddlyWiki.com in need of work (please contribute to the list)

Especially No. 1 would probably have helped, to improve the understanding of TWs “list” and “filter” syntax. …

Saq made a TiddlyWiki to directly create contributions to a test or the main repository. Those contributions can directly have an impact on the “Source of Truth” … tiddlywiki.com

As Jeremy mentioned, we don’t control the Discourse source code. We are users.

As TiddlyWiki users, we are used to have 100% control over our app and can modify every single aspect of it. … That’s not the case with Discourse.

I did spend close to an hour, to search and read stuff about a possibility to “mark” threads. The only thing I found was a possibility that is “prone for misuse” and has the potential to make our live as moderators harder and I think, it will not make the “discoverability” of marked threads easier or better.

Personal remark: At the moment, I don’t intend to dig into Discourse styling or even programming, more than I actually did already. …

I’d rather invest some time to record videos that demonstrate how to use the contributors wiki. More users may be encouraged to use it, so we can get better feedback and may be able to simplify the process even more.

have fun!
mario

4 Likes

I’ll chime in and say I have personally avoided posting identical threads because as I go to type out my question, Discourse suggests a similar thread.

The documentation is an issue but it’s not necessarily the content of the documentation itself, it is rather the way we present it. Jeremy has suggested creating a reference documentation plugin. This would allow users to optionally load reference documentation directly into their TiddlyWiki. I’ve been coming around to this idea and have been creating my own single tiddlers on macros, widgets, etc as I’ve been using them. (list-links macro.json (1.5 KB)
)

Often we need to strike a balance between a technical accuracy and approach-ability. I also believe the TiddlyWiki.com docs internally should also represent TiddlyWiki best practices (similar to a recent discussion surrounding fields).

2 Likes

Here is the Intro-thread for the new video series: Create Pull Requests with TiddlyWiki

2 Likes