Command palette plugin v1.0 , powerful context search bar, search under filter, etc

I can add a “search history” on the bottom when there is no query in the input. So frequently used filters can be chosen by Ctrl+P then ↑ (circle in the list to go to the bottom).

One advantage of this new CP is that it will run a filter on the background (nodejs) if possible, so the search will be smoother. Currently, it only supports the TidGi desktop, but I will add an HTTP-based background search on the client-server setup.

I guess this could be helpful.

In general I think your setup is much better for most users wanting a good UI for the default search, with some added extras and easy configurability.
It’s just that I got used to some weird possibilities of original CP (which I have modified quite a bit, taking from some unmerged PRs and other modifications floating around), so it’s not that easy to immediately switch.

2 Likes

This is an awesome plugin. I appreciate reusing the Souk21/TW-commandpalette keyboard shortcuts (mine “just worked” when installing this plugin and uninstalling TW-commandpalette).

A few notes that would prevent me from using this day-to-day in my Wiki:

• Text appears to “outweigh” tiddler titles, even if I type the titles explicitly. It seems like - if I type the text of a tiddler title explicitly - that should win over instances where the title text appears in the tiddler body
  • The appearance state and current text of the command palette seems to be saved into the Wiki. If I open the command palette, save the wiki, and open the HTML file in a new window, I see the command palette open. Its appearance state should probably all be in temporary tiddlers
  • I can’t see the config text or the command palette “help” text in my color palette
  • My Souk21/TW-commandpalette seems to suggest system tiddlers (perhaps I’ve modified the filter). I wish this would do the same (maybe I can configure it?)
  • I got an RSOE by opening the Command Palette and resizing it down to mobile widths and back up again

I think this type of plugin will attract more users to TW. Thanks for making it!

Congrats on the release! :slightly_smiling_face:
I’ll take this opportunity to archive the Souk21/TW-commandpalette repo. With the new fork out and my limited time to maintain it (sorry for the slow responses to PRs and issues), it seems like the right time to do this!

1 Like

There need to be a search score system to order them properly, sadly tw’s search[] operator can’t handle this, so the only solution may be add a config that put the entire title search result on the top, but can’t smart mix them. I may add a smart search sub plugin for it.

That’s true, I’m using nodejs wiki so state tiddler is not a problem. Update in next release.

See the Translation part of post above Command palette plugin v1.0 , powerful context search bar, search under filter, etc

Try add $ prefix to search system tiddlers, at least some of them.

Your code accompany my wiki for nearly 3 years, thanks for your good work!

I also discover the power of actionString when revisit it. I haven’t notice it before, but I think it will be a powerful tool for LLM era.
So I acturally learn many thing from it. I’m going to play with command palette + AI actionString for a while. Use http request message action widget for LLM AI, anyone tried this before?

Thanks for updating the plugin! The state tiddlers work great.

I’m still having trouble with translations after installing the lingo macro into my Wiki (a 5.3.3 single-file wiki). I can check the demo page for what each option does, which is just fine.

I’ll switch to this to give you more feedback on the plugin. I really like more of these modern PKM features finding their way into TiddlyWiki - thank you for making them. A few more things I noticed:

1. The plugin lets you hide the search bar entirely, but then you can’t open the command palette on Mobile. Maybe including a “Tool” button to do this would be handy?
  2. It takes three presses of the escape key to close the search popup when I have a query in it. It should (ideally) dismiss after one press
  3. I wish I could set the width to be a px level. I use a large display, and the command palette is uncomfortably wide and not centered

Thanks again for this plugin (and thanks @Souk21 for the awesome original CommandPalette, too - I have used it daily for some time).

The plugin lets you hide the search bar entirely, but then you can’t open the command palette on Mobile. Maybe including a “Tool” button to do this would be handy?

This is already installed with the plugin, my mistake :slight_smile:

I believe it will be merged in 5.3.4. Hope it is not a big deal if it doesn’t work in these months.

There is a bug that make items not clickable, need to fix this before everything else.

And there is a page control button you can enable, after mobile issue is fixed, it will be useful.

I will take the time to add it! Also the escape key. After I play with the ability to invoke AI with command palette.

I looked at the documentation of autocomplete.js again, and it seems to be very customizable.

Yes, it is easy to use, so the most of the work is about calling tiddlywiki’s actionString, message, and search for things like layouts.

Looks great! Not being able to select by clicking the mouse is a big disadvantage for me.

It is now clickable, with some workaround, until Why it close when click by mouse or touch, without triggering onSelect or nevigate? · algolia/autocomplete · Discussion #1255 · GitHub is answered by someone.

There are also some new configs in control panel.

1 Like

As a long-time user of @Souk21’s original command palette, I really want to like your updated version— and I do like the improved configuration possibilities, and it feels significantly faster in my large wiki! But it does not seem designed for easy searching with custom filters, and that’s really holding me back from adopting it, because that’s one of my most common uses. To demonstrate:

If I type a custom filter, I expect to see it at the very top of the filter list. (Ideally, I could disable the built-in filter list entirely, or cut it down to ones I’ll actually use.) As you can see, the filter I typed isn’t even on screen at the moment, which means I need to navigate to it before I can use it—and this is especially problematic when I can’t click on it in the list. I should be able to type a filter, hit enter, and immediately see its results, rather than having to scroll through a bunch of filters I don’t want.

And when I do apply a filter, there’s no easy way to get back to the “default” view. If I want to search with a different filter (or none at all), I have to escape and reopen the command palette. My intuition is that hitting “backspace” in the empty search field should take me back to the non-filtered view.

I also wish it was easier to modify the widget CSS, since the current style doesn’t mesh very well with my wikis. (Ideally, it would make use of the core <<colour>> macros and the current palette values.) But I can edit a CSS tiddler myself, so this is a dream, not at all a priority.

I hope you can address these issues! I’d like to upgrade to your new and improved version, especially if @Souk21 no longer intends to update the original.

1 Like

The [ mode should allow you search “filter” tiddlers, both there title and text fields. So you can give it a name to search. But I think what you want it to sort these tiddlers based on their “order” field. Some search mode respect this, I forget if I add this to the “fitler” mode, I can add one if there isn’t.

The support for filter mode is based on standard $:/tags/Filter tag, so if you have some useful filter to share, you can pack it as a plugin and allow other people install it. Me myself haven’t use “filter” mode in daily life, because I don’t have any useful filter to use.

No, my main point was that I’m not interested in searching predetermined filters at all: it’s easier for me to type the filter I want than to find it in a list. I think I am probably an outlier in this, and most users will appreciate easy access to the $:/tags/Filter filters—so I’m glad that you included them! But I do think my input should appear as the first result, not the last.

Let me try to better illustrate the issue:

1. When I start typing (you can see I had to scroll down just to get my input value on screen.)

2. When I add the first interior [, the filter search results disappear. This is perfect—it’s exactly what I’d expect.

3. When I keep typing…

My filter doesn’t match any of the presets, so it’s back at the bottom again.

I see, there can be a config for this config to show missing filter as first item · Issue #33 · tiddly-gittly/tw-command-palette · GitHub

But I suggest you add useful filter as a tiddler, and add $:/tags/Filter to it.

Thank you for adding the issue! I look forward to trying your plugin again when it’s resolved. :slight_smile:

The vast majority of my filter searches are spontaneous—things I need in the moment but may never need again. There wouldn’t be any value for me in creating new tagged filters; they’d just add more clutter to the list.

1 Like

Just wanted to say that this is a really nice update to the previous commandpalette plugin! Thanks!

1 Like

I add an option on latest update, toggle it and have a try!

1 Like