Announcing the release of TiddlyWiki v5.2.2

I’m delighted to announce the release of TiddlyWiki v5.2.2 at:

https://tiddlywiki.com/

The release is taking place now because of a serious bug affecting Chrome and Edge versions 100 and 101. The bug makes it impossible to click the edit toolbar buttons when editing a tiddler with these versions. As far as we can tell, other functionality is unaffected.

Therefore it is strongly recommended to upgrade any wikis that are expected to be edited by Chrome or Edge users on those versions.

Besides the fix for the Chrome/Edge issue, there are a number of other exciting changes:

• An updated highlight plugin with support for more languages

• Fixing a long term bug with the ordering of tagged tiddlers

• A new shorthand syntax for setting CSS style properties

• Extended secondary window support to include positioning new windows, and closing windows

See the release note for the full list of changes.

You can upgrade your existing single file wikis here:

https://tiddlywiki.com/upgrade.html

For Node.js users, the new version is available on npm:

As ever, exercise caution when upgrading, and be careful to keep backup copies of everything important.

A huge thank you from me personally to all the contributors to this release who have given up their time and effort to make things better. There are lots of small improvements but the cumulative effect is to steadily increase the flexibility and reliability of TiddlyWiki.

Any questions or comments are welcome here, or via GitHub.

Best wishes

Jeremy

11 Likes

Well then - sometimes it is time to celebrate earlier than expected!

Big thank you to Jeremy and everyone who keeps contributing!!!

(っ◔◡◔)っ :heart: ♪ 𝚃͔̐̒͋̔𝚒̪̖̼̓͆ͦ𝚍̱̜ͧ̅̎ͅ𝚍̬͕ͅ𝚕̗͒̈́𝚢̤̝͍̟̔𝚆͗ͭͮ̈ͫͩ𝚒͇̄̔ͩ̔͂𝚔̝͔̮͕̫̄𝚒̠̎ͥ̓̽ ̻͔͎ͧ̽͂͆𝟻̘̮̏̈.͕͕ͨ𝟸͇̈́̄́͐.̺̹̓̓͗𝟸̲̻͓̅̑ ♪:heart:

So important to be “Agile” in these circumstance’s.

Just a reminder for all How to Quickly upgrade your single file wikis in Browser and notes below.

I would also like to note I have come across, but not deconstructed, an emerging incompatibility between Chrome/FireFox and URI’s to Single File wikis. Not all URI’s are accepted between browsers or in the file open dialogue.

-7189f24eb5668fe4

I’m seeing reports of “reversions” …

Practically should I wait on 5.2.3 to ensure continuity?

My experience with TW is it has superb backwards compatibility.

The latest update I tried out but kinda seems a “break”. I hope not!

TT

There are three regressions - namely bugs - that have snuck in to 5.2.2:

• a visual bug with extra space above and below field input areas in the edit template
  • when adding a new field in the edit template, the value is not saved unless you click the add button
  • the scrollable widget needs some extra CSS to work correctly, though this is rarely in use outside of the core and the CSS fix is both straightforward and harmless going forwards.

As such you can decide whether or not these issues are critical enough for you to delay upgrading though the browser updates might force your hand. I suspect for most users these issues should not be particularly problematic, and as such 5.2.3 may not be released for some time.

1 Like

If we can hang on to Chromium 99 until Chromium 102, can we sidestep these various problems? I’m wondering if the changes made to accommodate 100/101 will then cause problems with 102+, requiring rollbacks in TW code?

only if it’s 99.0.4844.84 – there’s a 0-day exploit found in the wild for 99.0.4844.82:

Edge users need 99.0.1150.55 : Security Update Guide - Microsoft Security Response Center

NOT, force MY hand so much as “will it confuse the end user?”

My central interest is changes in behaviour on layout and data input that are slightly weirdo.

For now I’ll stay on the previous.

A conservative comment, TT

The only change made to resolve the issues with Chrome/Edge 100 is an improvement to the HTML structure of the Edit Template which is here to stay.

The bugs in TW 5.2.2 described above are unrelated to this change.

1 Like

I would not recommend sticking with v5.2.1 unless the specific issues mentioned by Saq affect you. The bugs in v5.2.1 that are fixed in v5.2.2 are much more significant than these.

It seems highly unlikely. The changes in v5.2.2 to accommodate this bug are correcting places where we used invalid HTML nesting. Now that we do things correctly there’s no reason to suppose that there would be further problems with the same thing.

2 Likes

Okay. Will do. I got slightly nervous reading reports about “reversion”.

Assuming now v5.2.2 is fully kosher.

Best, TT

The fix, that was introduced for the “toolbar problem” for Chrome and Edge should be forward compatible.

So we shouldn’t need to change the UI code back. The HTML output the “old” UI code created was technically invalid. But browsers typically do ignore those type of problems, because they are way too common. …